Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS has SPD and seems to have a general sense of anxiety and lack of ease in the world associated with it. This is particularly bad in the afternoons and evenings. It seems like he's just on edge. I think he gets a generally good sensory diet. I wonder if there are other natural-type remedies that we might try. I've read about essential fatty acids for folks with ADD, and DS's symptoms sometimes manifest in somewhat of an ADD fashion. Any thoughts on this? Any specific suggestions?<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
katie (and megin)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Anyone?<br><br>
(Katie's wife here....)

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'll give it a shot --<br>
Have you read "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun?" It has more activities and suggestions to use in a sensory diet. I'm assuming that you've already read "The Out of Synch Child," but if you haven't that would also be a great book to pick up.<br><br>
I'm not exactly sure how EFAs would help a SPD child, but I know the premise is that EFAs help coordinate brain functions. EFAs can't hurt. We started supplemental EFAs for my ds this past fall and in a fairly short amount of time noticed an increase in verbal skills and a reduction in toe walking. Coincidence? Maybe or maybe not. DS is not autistic or on the spectrum, but has SPD and anxiety issues that can look like ADHD at times. ADHD was also ruled out for ds. EFAs are definitely worth a try, IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts