Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as you know (or may not know
) I'm due in October with my first "people baby", and have a 6 year old heeler who considers himself my dog. How do I go about making sure that KD is ok with the baby? He's really, really good with our friends little one, who is not quite a year old and has been over a lot. I've heard "advice" from people saying just don't worry about it (right. like that's gonna happen) to "you better find a new home for him before the baby gets here. (again-not gonna happen.) I've had dogs all my life and have no qualms about most stuff, but I want to be sure I do this right-since the baby will be staying and not going home after a day or two like our friends baby does...

He's got "sit" "stay" "down" "back", and "go away" down pat-at home and when there's commotion, doesn't jump, mouth or paw, doesnt have a tail (phew!) and is well aware of his place in life (below people). He waits for food til he gets "ok, go eat." And, he'll drop whatever he's eating and back up when you say "leave it"-even if its a big meaty hunk of beef short ribs. (The poor dog gets no peace). He stays outside all day (unless its extreme weather outside (hot or cold) and I'm home-then he comes in with me) and entertains himself (with pinecones, of all things) till 9 PM, when he comes in and has dinner and then lays at my feet by the couch til its time for bed. His one vice (well, beyond playing ball) is licking-carpet, pants, hands, etc. but he'll quit if you tell him to.

I think he's pretty well prepared, but I've never brought a baby home, and I don't want him to a)be jealous or b)hurt the baby (not necessarily in that order, of course!). Sorry it's so long but I figured it would help if you knew what he knew...Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I need to?

TIA

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I started using the bath products we were going to use on the baby late in my pregnancy. I had her in hospital and due to some complications, we stayed four days. I sent home one of her hospital blankest that smelled like her. I'm told he sniffed it over, rubbed on it, and then took it in his house.

Does your dog have a crate or safe place? If not, start introducing one so he has place to go if it all gets too much.

There's a CD of baby sounds (can't remember the name, but you can google for it) so you can play the crying and laughing sounds for your dog to get used to.

Our little and often nervous dog loves loves loves the baby. I'm not sure if it's anything we did but he accepted her as soon as we brought her in and gives all the signs of seeing her as higher in the pack. We still don't leave them alone or let her tug on him or anything (although we've always played with is feet and ears so he would allow the groomer and vet to check them without getting snappy), we make sure they don't have a chance to get each other into trouble. I know this will be more difficult as she gets more mobile but so far, it's gone really well.

Good luck and I think it's so great you're taking the time to prepare. It makes me so sad and a little angry when people just give up on their pets.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
The only thing I'd add to the previous poster is that as your due date starts coming closer, start to give him a little less attention so he doesn't suddenly, with the arrival of the little one feel like nobody cares about him anymore--in other words, you don't want him connecting less attention to the baby coming home.
Cause yeah, it'd be a shame to have to rehome that baby after carrying it for 9 months

(before anyone gets their panties in a twist...I am of course kidding!)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Cause yeah, it'd be a shame to have to rehome that baby after carrying it for 9 months

(before anyone gets their panties in a twist...I am of course kidding!)
Of course, the way the little twerp has been keeping me awake so far, that may be the viable option!
(no I'm not serious....)

Good point...

Now if I can just bring myself to do it...Its that one little brown eye looking at me that gets me, you know? A face only a furmommy could love...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.