Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they worth the money? Will one fit in my smaller car (mercury Tracer)? Which one is best bang for the buck? My mom, husband, and I are all lost in the sea of carseats. The Marathon seems to be the best, but is the most costly, of course. Also, we are not sure if it will fit in our car.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I feel they are worth the money, it's the only car seats I use, but others have other opinions. I have 2 Marathons and love them. I'd definately get one of the larger ones, Marathon or the Declathon (sp?) instead of the roundabout, they last for years, and I do mean that. DD1 is almost 4 and still has years left in her marathon. It should fit fine in your car, if you go to babies r us you can try them out in your car before you buy them.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
They are totally worth the money. They are the safest easiest to use carseats on the market. And the only carseats for heavier kids. I don't know how old your child is so not sure which would be best. If your child is under 1 I would say the boulevard is of course the best (but it is also the most expensive). IT has true side impact protection and a knob that allows you to easily adjust the shoulder strap height. Now if you want a good convertible and money is an issue I would suggest the Marathon. The roundabout does not hold a child for as long as the MArathon, and that extra weight in a 5 point harness is important to your child's safety. The Decathalon is more expensive than the marathon but you are paying for the infant insert (which isn't necessary) and different fabric choices. The Marathon will hold your child from 5-65lbs, a very good length of time, and can keep your child rearfacing up to 33lbs. We chose the Marathon for ds2 because he is a big baby and we want him harnessed as long as possible. Look for them on www.froogle.com to find some good deals (or try albee baby they run good deals alot). If your child is close to or over 33lbs the Regent is the best seat for the money. It is forward facing only for 20-80lbs. I have one of these for my ds1. Now this is a huge car seat, but because it is forward facing most of the space it takes up is across the back seat.

I am not sure how big a mercury tracer is, but I can put the Marathon in my Geo Prizm (think toyota corrola) and my husbands suzuki forenza. I have a Wizzard (boulevard) and Regent in my Geo. There is very little space left in the back seat, but the kids fit and they are safe. And lets face it, any two car seats in the back seat of my car would make it useless for other passengers anyway.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
IMO they are very worth it. Unless something better comes out, they will be all my kids will be in. The boulevard is the best (it has side impact protection) and it fits fine in our Honda Civic.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just throwing this out there...

There is also the Radian which is a bit less in cost then Britax's for those parents on a budget.
It will be our secondary car seat for DD as I can not afford two Britax's at this time.
Safety wise it seems to be comparable to some of the Britax's.
I have read that some have issues with getting a good installation so in that regards maybe they are not equal as the Britaxs are supposed to be easier to install.

http://skjp.com/products/index.php?v...me=Car%20Seats

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScotiaSky View Post
Just throwing this out there...

There is also the Radian which is a bit less in cost then Britax's for those parents on a budget.
It will be our secondary car seat for DD as I can not afford two Britax's at this time.
Safety wise it seems to be comparable to some of the Britax's.
I have read that some have issues with getting a good installation so in that regards maybe they are not equal as the Britaxs are supposed to be easier to install.

http://skjp.com/products/index.php?v...me=Car%20Seats
:

I just wanted to second the Radian. We have 2 Radian 65s. I am constantly installing them because I use my mom's car a few times a week and she needs the seats out at the other times. I am always able to get a good, tight install. The cheapest I was able to find the marathon was 265ish and I got my Radians for 179.99, a big savings esp. having to buy 2. In addition, there is now a Radian 80 which can hold kids from 5 - 80lbs (more than any Britax except the Regent which is FF only) and might be a consideration buying for a young child, or for an older child where you may want to pass the seat to a new baby. I know seats expire after 6 years, but if you really want to buy 1 seat and are comfy moving your child to a booster at 6, or you have an older child who needs a seat for a couple more years and than passing it to a baby, you can't beat it.

ETA: I know sometimes you can find the Marathon for cheaper, but I wasn't able to at the time I needed the seats, and I was looking for about a month. Just today I saw the Marathon for 250 at specialtybaby.com, but it was only one print and tha is still a 70 dollar difference (x2 in my case).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another vote for the radian i have one for my 4.5 year old and we LOVE it, it's slim enough that i can still fit 3 seats across when needed, and narrow enought that it fits well in a lot of cars! i've heard some say that it won't install well in some cars but i've found after having it a while and pracitcing installing it i can get a good insatall in almsot all cars, only excpting so far has been my MIL chevy cavillier middle possition the seat stalk needed to be twisted 4 times to get it short enough to install properly.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moms3kids View Post
only excpting so far has been my MIL chevy cavillier middle possition the seat stalk needed to be twisted 4 times to get it short enough to install properly.

And this may not even be a problem with the Radian, because I have a Cavalier too and I have to twist the stalk several times to get my Britax seats to install correctly as well
So I say it's the car and probably any seat in it will have this issue!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have two Britax Marathons in my van and one in our car, and a Britax Parkway in the car. Love them.

I was in a car accident (my fault), and had a Marathon and an Omega Elite. The Omega moved - not a lot but it did move. When I replaced them, I replaced them with Marathons because the Marathon didn't budge.

I'm in Canada, and the Marathons are not rated the same in Canada as in the US or the UK. They aren't rated to as much weight. I looked into the Radians, but they aren't approved for Canada at all.

As to the booster seat - my 5 year old is tall but skinny and is right on the cusp between the Marathon and the Parkway. I used to have her in another booster, but got rid of it for the Parkway because of the head and side protection.

Again, when we almost had a collision that I avoided (car pile up in front of me) and when I swerved and stopped her head swung to the side and whapped the glass - not hard but enough for me to realize that I was getting a different seat for her. Actually, I put her back into a harness seat and only have the booster in the car that she isn't in very often.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
We have 2 Britaxes - a Marathon and a Wizard (which has been replaced by the Boulevard, I guess). They are the same size but the Wizard has side-impact protection and easily adjustable straps.

We love them. They are easy to install, solid as rocks once they're installed. The straps never twist. I prefer the Wizard as it's easily adjustable but my 4-year-old DD is 42 in tall and 38 lbs and still has plenty of room in the Marathon (which goes to 65 lbs but she will probably outgrow it in height first).

The only drawback is they seem hot in the summer, but that's probably the case for any carseat with a 5-pt harness.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post

I'm in Canada, and the Marathons are not rated the same in Canada as in the US or the UK. They aren't rated to as much weight. I looked into the Radians, but they aren't approved for Canada at all.

I have good news..yes Radian's are approved in Canada as of a few months past. Just to 48 lbs(like the Marathons) though as that is the highest weight approved for a harnessed seat in Canada.

They are available online at Canadian Tire, Safety SuperStore and TJ Kids and most likely other places which I am unaware of.
Cheapest at CT though 199.99.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a wizard and love it. I found it online for the same price as the hte marathon, can't remember the site, sorry . Just do a search for britax on sale. I love the wizard. Side protection is great, looks super comfy when napping, head does not flop like in the alpha omega elite in the other car. It is also super easy to install. I don't have latch but britax has awesome lock offs for the seat belts, it dosn't budge. Love it and worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The Wizard has been replaced by the Boulevard, like other PP have mentioned.
It is also the most expensive of the 3 with the fewest fabric choices... However, we are going with this seat as it has Side Impact Protection and that is important to me as we have a small car... well, it'd be important to me no matter what, ya know?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.