Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someone of an odd dilemna.

My older dd is a little over 5 years old, 40lbs. My younger dd is 21 months and probably about 25lbs tho I haven't weighed her recently. Older DD is currently in the Graco sealt belt booster (high back) however I am just not comfortable with her there as she seems incapable of sitting still in it for the car ride. Younger DD is in a marathon (forward facing because we do not have A/C vents in the back of our car and it would be too hot for her to be rearfacing right now (we live in vegas and rear facing she would be in direct sun and no air blowing on her.... the car gets really bad air circulation as it is).

I would like to get a Regent for my older DD... however she wants a marathon because of how high it sits up. I just can't seem to justify to myself buying a second marathon (which will cost us more and she may outgrow it too soon). I would rather get her a regent so that when my younger DD outgrows her marathon she will have the regent to use.

My question is, how much safer is the marathan than the regent in terms of use for my YOUNGER dd? I am thinking of buying the regent, and letting younger DD use it and giving older DD the marathon to use for now. I am sure it would get old quickly and she would want the bigger seat back before winter when I was planning on turning younger dd rearfacing again. Is this an entirely foolish idea? LOL.

Thank you ladies for your help!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
My toddler is in the Marathon and my son is in the Regent (used to be called the Husky.)

I don't even think your eldest CAN sit in the Marathon. Isn't she out of the Marathon size category?

My toddler loves to ride in his seat (I figure it's safe because she is allowed inside the seat, size wise, but I prefer she sit in her OWN seat because that's safest, better suited for her body), but he can't ride in hers. I told him he's not in the size category, which I looked up.

It's such a royal nightmare. She wants to ride in his seat all the time. So then they argue and fight about it because he wants to ride in it.

Now I have a firm rule. You ride in your OWN seat, period. If the eldest is not in the car (school or playdate) OK, OK, you can ride in your big brother's seat. But i hate it I tell ya.

You can buy the Regent, let her ride once in the Marathon (I don't it will be comfortable for her) and then maybe it will be out of her system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Hi! The Regent starts at 22 lbs, so it might be fine for your DD. My 30 # DS uses his regent and that thing is HUGE. I think that the safety issue is really a non-issue; you can probably just go with what is more comfortable.

From what I have read (which is a ton!), the difference in carseat quality is really about comfort and not safety. All brands are pretty much just as safe, whether they are forward or backward-facing.

Britax is very popular on MDC, and it is what we in our family love. My DS, as I mentioned just got the Regent b/c I am pregnant, and we will use his Roundabout for the new baby. When we travel now, we just bring the Roundabout b/c the Regent is too HUGE to fit in his airline carseat case. I cannot believe how huge it is.

I bet once you get it, older DD will be bowled over by the luxuriousness of it and won't mind using it, but who knows?

At the moment, I am thinking of buying some kind of pillow pad b/c the Regent is not as easy for DS to fall asleep in b/c did I mention that it is HUGE? We do really like it though, and we call it the "barcalounger."

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mamas.... older DD has sat in the Regent and likes it, she just still asks for Marathon because it sits higher LOL. She is stubborn.

TaniBani.... no my older DD would still fit in the marathon, Her shoulders are just above the second to last harness slot and the marathon harnesses to 65lbs so she is fine weight wise.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by velveeta
From what I have read (which is a ton!), the difference in carseat quality is really about comfort and not safety. All brands are pretty much just as safe, whether they are forward or backward-facing.
Rear-facing is much safer than forward facing, no matter what brand of seat. Just wanted to clarify this.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Heya Tiffany
Sophie got her marathon at 2 and her husky at nearly 3. She looked as though she was swimming in it. My niece is 1 day older than Willow and she looks lost in the husky. I think it's too roomy for a toddler who still naps a lot. If Willow doesn't nap much it may work well for her.

How tall is Kyla? Sophie is 44" and 40 pounds and is nearly outgrown her marathon. She has 1/2" of growing room left. So that may be a consideration for giving kyla the husky. Sophie has tons of space in the husky though.

The regent(called husky previously) and the marathon will offer similar amounts of safety for a forward facing kiddo. However, if your plan is to turn Willow around once it cools down, and I think thats a great idea, then she would most definately be safer rear facing.

I don't think the regent is much lower to the seat than a turbo booster. Does she complain about not being able to see in the booster? Sophie can see just fine from her husky. I still have my saturn ion so I'm not sure if the type of car matters as well. She's always telling me to stop when the light turns yellow.

Just some fodder.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Meg... yeah she complains in the booster too. I think I am just going to get it and put her in it. Willow doesnt nap in the car (heck she rarely naps ever LOL) but I may let kyla ride in the seat a bit and hope she gets over it fast. But then that could back fire and she may like it too much lol. Kyla is only 42" tall, my little shortie LOL.

I have always planned to turn willow again once it started to cool down ... maybe if i can fit the husky in the middle seat kyla will sit a bit higher and be happy with it.

We have a saturn L series now, and im sure you know what a PITA saturn back seats are, LOL. I miss the latch of my VUE

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyMama
We have a saturn L series now, and im sure you know what a PITA saturn back seats are, LOL.
*scared* Um, tell me more? We have a 98 SL1, and the odds of getting the biodeisel stationwagon we dream of before March are basically nil... What am I getting myself in to?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I just suggest trying things in the car before you buy if you can..... Our Britax seats install easily and solidly because of the lock offs but any other seat we have ever tried was a real PITA. The seats are slightly slanted so it always took 3-4 pieces of pool noodle and lots of swearing to get a solid installation.

DD's marathon has 2 pieces of pool noodle under it to create a level base and the seat belt installation was easy! So if you can, stick to Britax and you should be fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.