Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I fell and fractured my ankle a week ago. I never have broken anything before so this is all a new experience for me & I have some questions it seems like are BTDT questions . . .

1) Is aching pain normal during the healing process? For how long?
2) What should/could I be doing/taking to support speedy healing?
3) How can I keep my 3 active kids from whacking it? :crazy

Thanks for any experience you'd like to share!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
Hi -

I fell and fractured my ankle a week ago. I never have broken anything before so this is all a new experience for me & I have some questions it seems like are BTDT questions . . .

1) Is aching pain normal during the healing process? For how long?
2) What should/could I be doing/taking to support speedy healing?
3) How can I keep my 3 active kids from whacking it? :crazy

Thanks for any experience you'd like to share!
It has been 15 years since my broken ankle, but I do remember it being achy as it healed. Are you wearing an air brace or a cast? Try to stay off of it as much as possible. Probably easier said than done since I was a teenager at the time and did not have 3 kids
But I would try to rest it as much as you can and elevate it.

I took Advil for the pain. It was so long ago that I really have no idea what more natural options are out there.

I hope you are better soon

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response!

I'm in a cast, and I can't imagine trying to walk on it right now - walking on crutches sucks and so I am mostly camping out on the sofa/bed & parenting by yell (
) I will apparently get a "walking boot" in a few weeks.

We are getting lots of help from family & friends, but this is still really difficult.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I couldn't imagine caring for kiddos with crutches. It sounds like you need to be non-weight bearing. Have you considered renting/borrowing a wheelchair (make sure that the legs are elevating) or a knee walker (you rest or injured leg on a support)? It may be easier in your home with little ones and all their toys.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bunny is right. Elevation and an anti inflamatory will help. Be sure to eat well, lots of dark leafy greens and nuts. While you are stationary on the couch you might want to research the uses of comfrey/symphytum for bone health. Hope you are up and about soon!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
a lot of people report success using both arnica and symphytum during recovery (once the bone is properly set.) I would also encourage you to look into tissue salts which can be an excellent support in healing.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. When I get a chance I will look into those things . . .

I have a very small house with lots of clutter, but I actually think a wheelchair would be harder than the crutches. Someone I didn't even know donated an Ergo so I can move DD (7 months) around with me if necessary. DS1 is 6 and CAN help even though he is pretty resentful about it. And friends and family are bringing us food and helping out by coming to play with the kids. My DH is also a very helpful partner, although of course he can't just quit work to take care of me/us.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Awww, if you lived near me I would totally help you out, Mama
I am glad you are able to stay off of it though, that will help the most. I am sorry that you have to parent from the couch though
That must be really hard

If I were you I would accept help from anywhere I could get it. Family, friends, neighbors. If they offer, take them up on it

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
calcium builds strong bones, so i would think that calcium would be important nutritively (sp??) dark leafy greens are full of calcium, as someone mentioned. as is cow's milk (somewhat) and orange juice... and, i'm sure, other foods. or talk to your orthopaedist about taking a calcium supplement possibly. Tums antiacids have calcium, too.

my husband broke his ankle about 10 years ago. they do recommend keeping it elevated and resting for awhile. DH took it to the extreme, and stayed on the couch for THREE MONTHS. if it were me, i'd keep it elevated and rest for maybe the first month... and then slowly start adding some weight bearing. talk to your orthopaedist about when you should start physical therapy. DH needed PT, but maybe that was because he kept it immobilized for TOO long.

in any case, it sounds like this was a recent injury, and you are in an acute phase of healing. it will start to get better fairly soon. good luck!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure my bones are not at their maximum density as I've been pg and/or bf for the past almost 7 years. But I do take calcium/magnesium/D supplements (if I don't my nails break, and I adjust the quantity based on when they start/stop breaking.) And I like greens, and dairy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.