Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>i am pretty sure dd broke her toe while playing on her playdate. her 'index' toe - toe next to big toe is swollen, painful and bruised black and blue around the joint. i've been icing it for 20 mins every 2 hours after buddy bandaging that toe with the toe next to it with tissue between them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>it does not look like a bad fracture. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>i will probably take her in tomorrow.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>my question is will she have to miss school to help it heal? completely stay off her feet and rest them more? i cant imagine her missing school for a month or so. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>is that the only way or will they give her a cast and crutches? curious what happens with children. </p>

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
<p>I'm a school nurse and have had several students with broken toes. They came back to school with a boot. I've also seen the occasional crutch. I've never had a child miss much school honestly. I think she will be fine! I can't imagine a doctor writing a medical excuse to stay home for a broken toe. We have certain paremeters for what qualifies medically for home instruction in our system. A broken toe isn't one of them! She could probably get some modifications at school if needed, more time to walk around the building, no recess if that's an issue, no PE class.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts