Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - any experienced Moms have things happen this way?

Let me say that with all my other babies I dilated early and had full term babies. I usually am 2-3cm dilated at 36 weeks so I usually start seeing mucus plug around 34 weeks or so. Little bits at a time and this continues on to the birth which could be anywhere between 37 and 39 weeks.

But for whatever reason I've never seen a brown/blood tinged plug!? It usually is just greenish/snotty. I know a ton of women do experience the brown tinged thing but usually that is much closer to labor.

My assumption about this is that my mucus plug just formed with more blood in it this time and therefore as I lose it in the next few weeks it will just come out with brown blood. But just want to check with other Moms to see if you guys have started losing the plug 3 or 4 weeks prior to birth and also had some blood in it??

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hmm I dunno... that sounds like the mucus plug!!! There was a thread on the main pregnancy page where people where surveyed on how long after losing their plug, they went into labour. It seemed to vary from around 3 weeks to a few hours. Such is the mystery of birth!
But this is pretty exciting DoulaAlicia

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I lost my plug 9 weeks before birth... It was pretty bizarre. And yes, some blood tinge to it. My last pregnancy was the only one where I actually had discernible "plug" as opposed to cervical mucous.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I only lost mine in a discernible way with number 3. It was brown tinged with a bit of bloody not green. I had her about five hours later BUT my water started to leak a bit afterwards and dr. broke my bag once I was at the hospital. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm not sure I totally understand the question-- is the question the color of the plug, the consistency...?

With DD, I had a lot of vaginal discharge throughout the pregnancy, becoming more colorful towards the end. I would say it was more like a dark ivory/tan color (TMI?) towards the end, and then I lost the mucous plug (as a lot of clear and brown striped, egg-white consistency discharge, not as a solid "plug"-- but there was a LOT of it) over the 36-24 hours before she was born.

With this pregnancy, I do seem to have days when I have a lot (well, it looks like a lot on the panti-liner, but it's probably not more than a tsp or less) of more brownish discharge, which may or may not be from the plug (?)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
When i lost my mucus plug with my girls, it was a thick glob of brown jelly with streaks of red, and then the discharge became thinner and redder as the day went on. Have you had sex recently? I've had some thin brown discharge after sex recently, and chalked it up to a sensitive cervix. Otherwise, i would check in with my midwife, and see what her opinion is. Bacterial vaginosis can also cause some bleeding, and I think that is best treated before birth.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
i don't usually loose mine until birth is pretty darn close. however it's always been a brownish mucus not green!

however the last few days i have been really mucosy! clear and all but i'm just surprised...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello! Thanks for the input. To answer some questions....

The consistency is mucousy and that to me is "normal" given my history of losing bits of mucous plug for a few weeks before birth. My question more had to do with the brown tinge to it. I guess it was just a bit of a wake up call, like "Yah, you are having a baby soon!"

In three babies I've never had the plug be tinged with brown. And the only other experience I have with this is with women losing their plug shortly before labor not losing their plug weeks before labor like me AND having the brown thing going on that early. So I was trying to find some other ladies that have had mucus plug begin to come out a few weeks before labor and also be tinged brown....

No sex lately but I did have orgasm yesterday.
What I have had a decent amount of has been the cervical pinching/stretching the last two days.

Anyway - I'm off to get a panty liner because at this point all the discharge is stained as well.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
eek! exciting! well organsms are like contracting the uterus, so I dare say that may have had somethign to do with it.

I never did lose my mucous plug... I unfortunately had to go through an induction, so I probably did lose it, but not beforehand I mean.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
wow, this is so exciting! I know it could be many weeks - or a few months! - but, still, I think when mine comes out I will be freaking out with excitement and terror. sounds like the mucus plug to me, go Alicia!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.