Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big do these plants get? DH took me to a nursery today
and bought me a 6-pack of them. I have a half barrel that my mint overgrew. I'm thinking of pulling the mint (it'll probably grow back next year anyway) and putting the brussels in there, but not sure how much space each plant will need (never grown them before). Can I get 2 in a half-barrel, 4? I don't expect to get all 6 in there.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
How nice of your dh. Maybe I should start taking mine to the nursery once in awhile.

I know nothing about brussel sprouts though. Are they a perrenial?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea. None of my books have brussel sprouts in them. They're related to broccoli, and I'm told grow to a similar size, so I'm just going to follow the planting recommendation for broccoli.

·
Registered
975 Posts
We grow brussells sprouts. They get pretty big, eh. Our plants are higher than my knees and I'd say size wise... if I put my hands together to make a hoop, that's how big around the plant is.

They get all the same probs cabbage does (brassicas family) like loopers and what not. Frost does them good, they will get sweeter after a frost or two and I have heard some people harvest them throughout winter.

Ours took a long time to come to maturation, but they were nearly killed 2x this summer by bugs. It's gotten cool now so there are less bugs and they're doing great. We should have sprouts for Christmas. (And I started these babies from seed in March!)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
WOW! I didn't realize it took so long for them to grow. Hey, that's good though because then you still have SOMETHING to take care of in your garden at the end of summer. Very cool!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.