Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out CSA's and meat buying clubs, in an effort to be more proactive about getting great quality food. I live alone, and cook about half my meals for myself and half for my boyfriend and me.

Here in my town, I can join a CSA that supplies produce and eggs. A year of bi-weekly boxes with a dozen eggs costs $856.

The closest good meat buying club is about 1 1/2 hours away, and the pick-up is once a month. I can get 11 lbs per month of various meats, all grass-fed and pastured, for $860 per year.

This feels like a TON of money to shell out, and maybe I could stagger the payments by joining one in January and one in July. But before I do this, I want to know that a) I'm getting a good deal, and b) I'm not getting in over my head. I guess "b" is really up to me, to decide whether I can commit to a year-long commitment. But does anyone have feedback about "a"? How does this stack up in terms of keeping a TF budget? If I buy some of KerryAnn's menu mailers I can probably use up the food pretty well, and I can always give leftovers to my family and/or my BF's family.

I guess I'm mostly just thinking out loud here, but I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
$1700 for a years worth of groceries (assuming a 52 week year), comes out to under $33/week. In my book that's actually a pretty darned good deal.

The only thing left to buy would be milk, cheese and any grain products.

Personally I think that's a great deal.

Of course, if either of those is not a 52 week year (some CSAs have a 34 week year or some such weird thing), then it's not such a great deal.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
$1700 for a years worth of groceries (assuming a 52 week year), comes out to under $33/week. In my book that's actually a pretty darned good deal.

The only thing left to buy would be milk, cheese and any grain products.

Personally I think that's a great deal.

Of course, if either of those is not a 52 week year (some CSAs have a 34 week year or some such weird thing), then it's not such a great deal.
Agreed...I was doing the math too and coming to similar conclusions...this is a good deal! Save your grocery receipts for a week and I think you'll come to the same conclusion as we have...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy, when you put it that way, it does sound like a good deal! And I don't eat dairy or grains, so the only supplements would be coconut oil, nuts, and the odd-other-thing here and there. Hm! Thanks, y'all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.