Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here; a friend of mine suggested I see if anyone had any suggestions here.

I'm very early pregnant for the third time. I had a homebirth with DD#1, with many complications that ended with 2 units of blood and a 2-day hospital stay (and a perfect daughter). DD#2 was born in the hospital, but the fantastic midwife I had that time is now in Kentucky.

So I'm looking for suggestions of another midwife that's very anti-intervention, and hopefully at Sisters hospital. I'm not asking for a lot, am I???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

· Registered
1,984 Posts
There is also a birth center in the works in the area, though not sure where they are at at this specific moment, Eileen Stewart is heavily involved in bringing that about, and is also a practicing CNM in the area doing homebirth (not sure about hospy births). She is in Buffalo.

http://www.lifecyclescenter.org/index.html

http://www.lifecyclescenter.org/abou...directors.html

ETA: Not sure if this is her current info or not, I don't know her personally, but I found everything I'm sharing with you just from Googling her.
http://www.midwifeinfo.com/practitioners/view/245

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Ps, hey, welcome to WNY! PM me if you want to chat. I run a local online group for natural-living mamas, and if you need support with being new to the area or recources for AP groups etc, I would be happy to tell you all I know.

· Registered
41 Posts
Definitely contact Eileen @ Lifecycles. She's the frontwoman for the Emerald Waters Birth Center movement and even though she doesn't attend hospital births (to the best of my knowledge), she has all the connections to find someone who would work best for your situation. She's a wonderful low-intervention homebirth midwife as well, if that's an option for you

· Registered
35 Posts
Have you checked out Nurse Midwifery Associates? I saw them throughout my pregnancy, but ended up having a homebirth at the end. I have friends who used them and if you are anti-intervention, they seem to honor that.
Also, maybe Celia Stearns in Batavia? She is the closest thing you can get to a homebirth midwife who practices in a hospital. She is a CPNM and very experienced. I have her number if you need it.
Also, this Friday the 22nd there is a birth story night at Family Chiropractic on Harlem Road at 7pm. Women and their partners meet and share birth stories. It is a great way to find out options, midwives and other stuff like that. Hope that helps!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I emailed the people at buffalobirth.com yesterday (after seeing the thread you linked to) and heard back with the names of three midwives who have privileges at Sisters. I'm going in today for a pregnancy test (tell me, is it silly to be a little nervous that she'll say "you're not pregnant" even though I'm a week late and got 5 bfp's???
) and then we'll set up a prenatal appointment with one of those (who's also mentioned here)

I'm not really comfortable with a homebirth because I had complications with my first birth (a homebirth). I know it's likely that this one would be fine (DD decided to be born with her hand by her head, so after 10 hours of pushing my uterus quit, and I ended up hemmoraging, getting rushed to the hospital, and getting 2 units of blood!) but I'm not comfortable considering a homebirth at this point.
If I'm not comfortable with the midwife I meet today (does anyone know anything about Wendy Zitska?) then I'll try to call Eileen Stewart and see who else she'd suggest. I've already been told the birth center won't be opened in time, unfortunately. I had really hoped!

Thanks for the suggestion of Celia in Batavia. I'll remember her name too!

I'm so encouraged that there still are options for me! i was so disappointed when Nina moved away!

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digiscrapper View Post
Wendy isn't at Sisters. Just Children's.

I guess the next step is to call Eileen and see what/who she recommends. This is so frustrating. I'm just glad I started looking so early!
Don't get too frustrated. It took me until I was 6 mos along to find Jen Bozza. While the birth did not go as planned, I'm still happy that she was my midwife. I know that its difficult to stay calm until everything is in place, but it will be. Good luck.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digiscrapper View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I emailed the people at buffalobirth.com yesterday (after seeing the thread you linked to) and heard back with the names of three midwives who have privileges at Sisters. I'm going in today for a pregnancy test (tell me, is it silly to be a little nervous that she'll say "you're not pregnant" even though I'm a week late and got 5 bfp's???
) and then we'll set up a prenatal appointment with one of those (who's also mentioned here)

I'm not really comfortable with a homebirth because I had complications with my first birth (a homebirth). I know it's likely that this one would be fine (DD decided to be born with her hand by her head, so after 10 hours of pushing my uterus quit, and I ended up hemmoraging, getting rushed to the hospital, and getting 2 units of blood!) but I'm not comfortable considering a homebirth at this point.
If I'm not comfortable with the midwife I meet today (does anyone know anything about Wendy Zitska?) then I'll try to call Eileen Stewart and see who else she'd suggest. I've already been told the birth center won't be opened in time, unfortunately. I had really hoped!

Thanks for the suggestion of Celia in Batavia. I'll remember her name too!

I'm so encouraged that there still are options for me! i was so disappointed when Nina moved away!

Hey, I hope you didn't feel like I was ignoring your wish to birth in hospital. Your birth, your choice! I just don't know very much about hospital-practicing midwives, so I was just telling you what I *did* know in the chance it would be helpful.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mossbackmom View Post
<snip>
Also, maybe Celia Stearns in Batavia? She is the closest thing you can get to a homebirth midwife who practices in a hospital. She is a CPNM and very experienced. I have her number if you need it. <snip>
:

I'm glad you mentioned her, I have heard nothing but GOOD about her (aka "as close as you can come to having a homebirth not at home" sort of thing) but her name had slipped my mind when I was posting suggestions before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.