Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too scared to google anything about bugs (especially an image search, *shudder*) so I'm asking here.

I was on my hands and knees looking at my pepper plants and saw that the very tops of them were filled with little tiny buggy looking stuff. Eggs or something. Kind of clear looking.

Are these plants goners? How can I get rid of it. (Naturally, of course!)

Do I need to get rid of the plants quick so that it doesn't spread to others? I have a container garden on my balcony. I noticed the bug plants are on a bottom shelf, but I have some peppers higher up that are unaffected.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like aphids maybe? Squirt them with a mix of few drops of dawn in water in a spray bottle. Since you don't want to even look at photos of insects, I won't tell you what I do to aphids

Some people sware by using minty mouthwash mixed with water, but I never seem to have any in the house when I get a aphid attack. And baby powder...I haven't tried it but my neighber said it worked for her.

Your plants are not goners unless you do not get their population down asap. And aphids willl spread to your other plants.

You can also trap them by using a yellow colored sticky trap. Do you have a yellow plastic lid you can smear with honey? Plastic is best b/c you can reuse it...or you could try a yellow index card maybe?

It is best if you use several attack methods all at once, like smooshing, spraying and trapping. Oops! I just told you what I do to them

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
something was attacking my peppers,
then my puppy decided to have a snack.

do you think the leaves will grow back? the stalks are bare but they are still upright
help!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
something was attacking my peppers,
then my puppy decided to have a snack.

do you think the leaves will grow back? the stalks are bare but they are still upright
help!
That sounds like caterpillars. Check the green stalks of the others for them. They blend right in. If you see little black balls of what looks like dirt clods, they are caterpillar poop. These guys can devastate your peppers. Search search search, and then...destroy? Or at least move far far away.

Once you get rid of them. the stems will grow back.

But look for the poop....that's how you will know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.