Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.walletpop.com/article/_a/...z-dolls/267525

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Stephen Larson rocked the toy industry with his order that MGA must immediately stop manufacturing Bratz. He allowed MGA to wait until the holiday season ends to remove the toys from store shelves.
Wow! Not for the reasons I would have hoped, but it will still be nice to see less of the Bratz around

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Well, that's one of my Christmas wishes answered right there!
Now can someone PUH-LEEZE do the same with the Teeny Puppini things?

Quote:
The ruling, issued in federal court in Riverside, followed a jury's finding that Bratz designer Carter Bryant developed the concept for the dolls while working for Mattel.
I hope that doesn't mean that Mattel is going to turn right around and release their own iteration...

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I was just logging on here to share the good news!! Ya beat me to it, LOL.

Good riddance to this bad rubbish.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am glad to see the Bratz dolls and merchentdise go. I believe that Bratz dolls send the wrong message to little girls. Hopefully mattel won't make their own version of Bratz dolls now.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayCSmommy View Post
I am glad to see the Bratz dolls and merchentdise go. I believe that Bratz dolls send the wrong message to little girls. Hopefully mattel won't make their own version of Bratz dolls now.
:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I don't think they are gone. They are probably just going to be reproduced (under a different name) through Mattel now. There are so many people who are addicted to them (or have kids addicted to them) that there will be a mob coming after Mattel if they *don't* produce them now. And, truth-be-told, it'll be a great investment opportunity that a corporation like Mattel won't pass over. They already had tried to make a Bratz-like line of Barbies a few years ago (they were actually pretty cute and had way more personality than Bratz).

They'll probably try to reopen that line with a more Bratz-like look. Hopefully, they'll revise some of the outfits, though, to look more appropriate for little girls and young women than the current street-walker wear on the Bratz dolls.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As much as I hate BOTH the Bratz dolls and Barbies, I have to admit this feels a little too Big Brother to me. So some guy thought of something while working somewhere else, and when he quit and made his own design, the former company sues? Smacks of thought police and monopolies to me.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2snugbugs View Post
As much as I hate BOTH the Bratz dolls and Barbies, I have to admit this feels a little too Big Brother to me. So some guy thought of something while working somewhere else, and when he quit and made his own design, the former company sues? Smacks of thought police and monopolies to me.
It's a very difficult case, and until I read the article I felt the same way. However, when you work for a lot of corporations, you often do have to sign a waiver that gives them intellectual rights to any product that you are working on that ties into their business. Otherwise, it's too easy for employees to steal intellectual rights to products the corporation creates. It can also be a conflict of interest on the employee's part.

Knowing this, the man who created Bratz should have been a lot more careful about not starting his business (and creations) until *after* he left Mattel. For them to be able to pass this (especially since the Bratz creators probably tons of money now for good attorneys), there had to be a good deal of proof he was working on them while at Mattel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskanteach View Post
The only thing I liked about Bratz is that they seem to have large feet- and Barbie has incredibly small feet.. so..
Maybe...But it totally creeps me out that their feet have to come off to put on new shoes... I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but it says to me it sends the message that material possessions (ex-fancy shoes) are more important than your body.

Personally, I can't stand Barbie's feet, though, bc her toes are almost always pointy, and that sends the message that a woman only belongs in high heels. It seems like they should be able to make her feet flexible enough to fit into any shoe.

But, once again, I'm sure I'm reading way too much into it.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Lil_Mamma View Post
Maybe...But it totally creeps me out that their feet have to come off to put on new shoes... I know I'm probably reading too much into it, but it says to me it sends the message that material possessions (ex-fancy shoes) are more important than your body.

Personally, I can't stand Barbie's feet, though, bc her toes are almost always pointy, and that sends the message that a woman only belongs in high heels. It seems like they should be able to make her feet flexible enough to fit into any shoe.

But, once again, I'm sure I'm reading way too much into it.
Huh? I didn't know that their feet came OFF. That's gross. I and my boys have never played with them though, so I didn't realize that was the case.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie9 View Post
I hope that doesn't mean that Mattel is going to turn right around and release their own iteration...
Unfortunately, they already have a My Scene line of Barbies that are eerily Bratz-like. Blech.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't think Bratz or Barbie are good for little girls. I do have to say that Bratz did represent a more "ethnic" look, which I was glad to see. I was tired of the "ideal" doll being blonde and white.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
Unfortunately, they already have a My Scene line of Barbies that are eerily Bratz-like. Blech.
That's what I was thinking of. Actually, I used to like "My Scene" better than Bratz. They seemed to have more reasonable outfits when they were first introduced... But now...

Well, hopefully, Mattel will use this as an opportunity to mellow out their dolls' clothes. I don't mind the Anime look (it's so cartoony), but girls don't need to grow up thinking they have to dress like that to be attractive.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Yippee!

Bratz are just way too slutty. I hope I never see them again, but I doubt it. I expect the Mattel version shortly.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.