Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting bulbs for the first time this year! I got grape hyacinth (muscari) and tete a tete daffodils. I put a few in the ground today and then I started thinking about all the squirrels, bunnies, neighborhood dogs...
:

I don't want to do anything to harm these animals, or my kids, but is there any kind of deterrent I can use to keep them from digging up my bulbs? With a new baby coming next Spring my flower beds are not going to get the love they need so I'm hoping planting bulbs now will help me feel better about my flower gardening for next year!

Oh! And what bulbs are you planting?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I was just reading that you can make little bulb cages out of chicken wire and plant them that way. Keeps the gophers out!

I've got some tiger lillies coming from Brecks before long, I think.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
you don't need to worry about that babe keeping you away from your yard for too long. by this time next year your baby will be enjoying the outdoors and very interested in it.

but yeah, you may not have the energy to do much in the spring so the bulbs are a good idea.

i have also heard of the cages to keep animals away from your bulbs.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Welcome to MDC pbj

I love bulbs! Nothing makes me feel better after a long winter than seeing them
They do so well with such little attention too.

We live in a fairly rural neighborhood, which sounds weird I guess. It's a small town wedged in between some mountains
. Anyhow, we have loads and loads of wildlife, and none have bothered my bulbs as far as I can tell. In a suburban area, it might be more of an issue as there may not be as much of the beastie's "normal" fare.

I am not sure I will be adding any more bulbs this year
. Money is sort of tight, so unless I find them on deep discount at some box store the only bulb I will put in this year is garlic.

In my garden, the bulbs (and rhizomes, corms and tubers...) I have are; daffodils- assorted un-named types, some big yellow ones, some pale peach ones. Narcissi- white. Crocus - assorted yellows and purples. daylilies - burning man (deep red with a yellow throat), wild orange "ditch lilies", some sort of beautiful orange double lily, and yellow standards. Asiatic lily- red, white and orange. No ideas of the names, but they are stunning! Tulips - beautiful deep red ones also called "burning man", and an assortment of pastels from the kid's fund raisers. Alliums- giant purple globe. Iris, but that's a rhizome... about 5 different types. I think I am forgetting something...

I would love some muscari. I saw a photo of them paired with white tulips and narcissi that was just stunning.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one has bothered my bulbs yet! It might have something to do with the acorn tree in my yard

Serenetabbie, I would be happy to share some of my muscari with you. I bought a bag of 120 and won't be using them all! I'm in zone 6 but on the edge of 5. You can pm me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
How late can I plant bulbs and still expect them to push through next spring? I'm in NC. I'm having a fence installed that will keep out most critters so I'm wanting to wait til it's in place...
thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Ah yes bulbs. I can't wait to get mine in, but its been so darned HOT here in Ohio I can't put them in yet. I've always wanted to do elephant ears, but I don't have a lot of sun here at the new place, and I'm not sure if you plant those in fall or spring. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I used to work in a garden with a ground squirrel problem, and we found that it was quite random where they would eat and where they wouldn't... chances are your bulbs will be safe.

Subbing so this thread will remind me to plant my bulbs

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by daekini View Post
How late can I plant bulbs and still expect them to push through next spring? I'm in NC. I'm having a fence installed that will keep out most critters so I'm wanting to wait til it's in place...
thanks for the reminder!
I've heard you can plant any time after the heat goes but before the ground freezes...can't cite a source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
I used to work in a garden with a ground squirrel problem, and we found that it was quite random where they would eat and where they wouldn't... chances are your bulbs will be safe.

Subbing so this thread will remind me to plant my bulbs

I found out that daffodils are poisonous so I guess I don't have to worry too much about the squirrels. They lady at the garden place told me that if you plant daffodils in with your other bulbs it is like built in protection!

What bulbs are you planting?

Anyone know about tulips? I've heard they are great the first couple years but then don't stay as nice. Experience?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
Ah yes bulbs. I can't wait to get mine in, but its been so darned HOT here in Ohio I can't put them in yet. I've always wanted to do elephant ears, but I don't have a lot of sun here at the new place, and I'm not sure if you plant those in fall or spring. Anyone know?
You have to dig up and bring in elephant ears every winter. They are tropical. So, spring.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
My experience with tulips is that they like to be "lifted" or moved a little to produce well for more than a few years in a row. I have no idea if this is really the right thing to do, but just what has worked for me. Usually I end up moving mine because I forget what color I planted where (or someone gives me "dead" Easter flowers) and end up with clashing colors come spring

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Literate View Post
You have to dig up and bring in elephant ears every winter. They are tropical. So, spring.
I was hoping the winter would kill my huge crop of elephant ears.
: No luck - they've taken over my flower bed at the side of my house that gets the least amount of sun. Then again, I live in NC, not Ohio...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.