Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started cloth diapering today, and it seems like the diapers with the covers are SO BULKY. How do I get rid of the bulk? This is crazy!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Well mama tell us what you use......... I use a premium prefold and a pull on cover on my 17 month old and that is almost as trim as a disposable dipe.......

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
First of all, YAY for you! I started CDing when my DS was 12 months, and absolutely love it.

Secondly, realize that a CD will probably never be AS trim as a disposable you just put on. Keep in mind that a disposable is very thin when it goes on, and expands to giant proportions if left on for a long time. A cloth diaper doesn't expand.

It would help to know what you're using. A pocket diaper with 1-2 hemp inserts are absorbent and trim - lots of people use that system and love it.

You'll get used to it -- and come to love the bubble butt!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm using a bit of a variety right now. I'm trying things out so I don't have a whole lot of anything.

I only have one cover so far--it looks like this: http://www.dingleberryz.com/images/cover%20panda.jpg
Underneath it I've used a chinese prefold. I also have a fitted diaper that I haven't used yet, but I imagine it would be even more bulky.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to buy and what system I want to go with. From reading other posts I'm thinking I might like to use prefolds and a wrap. This seems to be what might be cheapest and work best.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Well if you are using a fleece cover then ther is gonna be a little more bulk..... I use prefolds and pull on bummis covers I also like the Alexis featherlite wraps..... I got 6 off ebay brand new for 15 shipped........
Also where in CA are you.......... I am in southern california at an air force base.......

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Hey, my DH's dad just retired as the Chief of Police in Ridgecrest
Much as I did not love hanging out there in the summer, I'll miss visiting them, I was starting to like the town

That cover looks pretty bulky to me. Nylon wraps will be much thinner and lots of people say the bikini twist is the trimmest fold for CPFs. I personally can't stand the bubble-butt thing, so I make my own fitteds and AIO's with very narrow crotches.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use pocket diapers - Fuzzi Bunz with a Joey Bunz or a Little Lambs AIO under his clothes if we are going out. Everything else is way to bulky for me. I use prefolds or fitted now because he doesn't wear clothes at homa dn I can't stand the bulk. When it gets colder and he has to be clothed I think I will buy some more FB because they are the trimmest CDs I've tried. My family think it's so funny to see him without a diaper because his butt is really so small compared to how huge it looks with a CD on lol. You can find FB on Ebay for a fairly good price.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Nope never heard of china lake....... but we are at Edwards AFB.....

ok i use a premium prefold and what i do is i lay it out flat. lay the baby on it I then fold the front down a coupleof inches.... then i bring the sides of the folded part in and bting the dipe up between his legs..... then i open the folded part just a little so that i have little wings then on goes the snappi and viola i have a very trim dipe.......

·
Registered
98 Posts
For trimness I like a prefold in a bummis original. Nikkys are another good wrap if you are looking for a trim fit. If you can pin a nylon pull-on is a trim option and cheap to boot. (I like the BRU ones, a pack of 2 is less than $5.) I've heard that Bumkins AIOs are very trim as well.

In my experience fleece tends to puff up and add a lot of bulk. If you sqeeze it into pants it compresses and leaks. I'm not a big fan of fleece for that reason. I prefer nylon or PUL when I need a trim fit.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like prefolds or hemp flatfolds tri-folded in a Bumkins cover. Also, for fitteds, Fireflys take the cake. Bumkins aios are very trim too, but not necessarily my favorite, yk?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Im with you!! My first day of CD'ing my 9 mos old twins was yesterday. I dont have all my dipes in yet (i bought a BIG variety to try) but so far I am not liking any fleece AIO's.. I tried one honeyboy and one Angelwraps and they were sooo bulky I had to change them and put on different ones.
I think those fleecy ones are better for night time when they arent standing and crawling, I feel the bulk gets in their way.

I had great success with simplycloth aios, angel wrap Quick dry aio's and tender beginining quick dry AIO's those were all fairly trim and must less bulky. I was going to cry yesterday whenI put on this honeyboy on my DD. I mean it was so cute but It was huge and I was like OMG why did I decide to do this!!

Also I have spent a FORTUNE on clothes for them
and now I fear they cant wear half of the stuff b/c it wont go over the diaper!
Anyway Im waiting on my fuzzi buns, and some bummi's wraps to try also.
Oh I also used one HH yesterday and that was pretty good too..
I think we have to keep trying to find what works. as for the CPF's I have no idea how to use those so I have stayed away!

Sam

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Twinmommy1120
I dont have all my dipes in yet (i bought a BIG variety to try) but so far I am not liking any fleece AIO's.. I tried one honeyboy and one Angelwraps and they were sooo bulky I had to change them and put on different ones. I mean it was so cute but It was huge and I was like OMG why did I decide to do this!!
Just FYI those are the two bulkiest diapers I have ever seen IRL!
most are not that bulky by a long shot! Don't judge Cding by one honeyboy! They are cute, but super bulky too!

Quote:
Also I have spent a FORTUNE on clothes for them
and now I fear they cant wear half of the stuff b/c it wont go over the diaper! Anyway Im waiting on my fuzzi buns, and some bummi's wraps to try also. Oh I also used one HH yesterday and that was pretty good too..

I have not had a problem with clothes fitting because of diapers, your fuzzi buns will be the best for this IF you do have a problem, however you will be amazed at the difference in size if your comparing it to a HB or a AW! with HH and FB it is all in how you stuff them!

And OP, don't be scared, you can find diapers that are trim as you need/want just ask here, we have tons of links and helpful advice. Hemp is the most absorbant and trimmest of the 'soaker' materials, and I would go with PUL as an outer or cover (or nylon would probably be okay too) for trimness. You can get single layer PUL covers bound in FOE at www.sugarbums.com there isn't a cover that is trimmer than that (it is only ONE layer of fabric) and they work like a DREAM! (I can use them even over night with ease) ~

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Grumpymama, I started with cloth when my son (who was also born in March) was 4 month old. When you first make the switch the cloth can seem kind of bulky compared to disposables...but after a few weeks it won't seem quite as bulky...

For trimness...I love Happy Heiny's stuffed w/JoeyBunz, you can barely even notice the difference w/sposies in clothes!

Also, for fitted diaper that are nice and trim...try Liz's cloth.

HTH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts