Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS and I went camping last weekend, and he ended up with a ton of mosquito bites. The one on his arm doesn't seem to be getting better, and although it hasn't spread that much, it has begun to look like a bullseye rash. I am getting more than a little nervous and am going to call his ped tomorrow. Is there anything I can do in the mean time?

Also, I never saw any ticks on him, and I would have definitely noticed on on his arm. Is there a chance it could be something else? He doesn't seem to be scratching it or bothered by it in any way. It has a hard center like a bug bite and it about an inch and a half in diameter.

Pic of rash

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That rash does look suspicious to me. I would give homeopathic Ledum right away.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I asked my hcp about a reaction like that that I had to a tick bite, and she said the lyme ring would be totally flat and would come after the bite mark went away. The hard center is probably just a reaction to the bug bite itself. But, that said, if it were my kid, I would still get it checked out.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I'm under the impression that you can get lyme disease from other vectors than just ticks, so the presence of a tick is not necessarily all you have to look for...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I pulled a tick off of Ds last week - it was SOOOOOO tiny. It was pure luck that I even saw it. He was on his Dad's shoulders, in a sleeveless shirt, so the little bugger was right at my eye level. Had he not been on Dad's shoulders, or wearing a t-shirt, I probably wouldn't have seen it. It had only been on his body for less than 4 hours & though it was attached, it wasn't into the bloodstream yet. Had it been in his hairline, I wouldn't have seen it. It was the size of a pinhead.

So just because you didn't see one, doesn't mean there wasn't one.

They're sneaky little bastards.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So at preschool this morning before his ped's office opened today, one of the mamas came to drop her daughter off. The mama is a doc at his ped's office, and she looked at it really quickly and said it looked like ring worm. He got sent home for the day (and I lost a day, possibly two of work). We have an appointment at 4:15 this afternoon, so hopefully it is neither. I can't afford to lose time at work, and I think I will freak out if he has Lyme disease.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My first thought was ring worm too. Hopw you get a true diagnosis and it is an easy fix soon. Is he bothered by it at all?

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is occasionally scratching at it, but not much. Other than that, he doesn't seem to even notice that it is there. I am having such a hard time googling the difference between ringworm and lyme disease rashes. They are similar, you would think someone would have a page out there to help differentiate the two.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang, Google just isn't a good thing at times. I just can't figure it out. I just found this pic which looks exactly like his rash, and it is listed under Lyme rashes. crap, crap, crap, crap...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ringworm is slightly raised and has a sort of shiny-ness/scaley-ness to it. I'm pretty sure that a lyme rash has neither, although I've never seen one (but am also trying to figure out if my dd has it - she just had a bullseye rash pop up, too...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Yeah, I've had ringworn a few times (from soil, I used to own a lnadscape business) and the rash appeared gradually, was scaly and flaky & very itchy.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, it turned out to most likely be Lyme disease.
We went camping a little over a week ago, and he had some very strange leg pain without any sign of injury. He also had a fever last week, and now the bullseye. His doc is convinced that they are all related and he starts antibiotics today for the next 4 weeks. He has to go back for a re-check in two weeks and again at four weeks to see if he has any other symptoms.

I am definitely starting us both on probiotics asap as well. Any suggestions for any that are relatively affordable? Any other tips?

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
oh no! ~~~ good healing vibes ~~~

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lyme. My ds had it last summer, fever, rash, like yours - straightforward presentation. We did the 4 weeks abx and I really think it is gone. Our doc recommended s. boulardii for a probiotic because it is yeast-based or fungal and doesn't get killed by the abx. We used Florastor. I'm sorry to say it was not inexpensive, but I really think it helped, because as you know, a month is a long time to be on abx. But p'raps there's another brand of s. boulardii. Good luck, and I'm glad your doc took the symptoms seriously AND prescribed a month of abx. Your little one will probably be fine since you're getting it early.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I'm glad you got a diagnosis - I know it is scary but chronic lyme is scarier. I think vitacost sells s. boulardii under their brand NSI for a cheaper price.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much for the tips. He is taking his antibiotics really well, and we have an appointment in two weeks for a re-check. I will definitely check out the link for s. boulardii. We are still nursing, so I want both of us to take it just to ensure we don't get thrush.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts