Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on another post where someone said bum genius can only be washed on warm. Do all of you do this? If so, do you do a separate load with just bum genius? I only have one of them, and I've been washing it on hot with the rest of the dipes. I can't realistically do a separate load for just these, and I don't want to wash all my other dipes on warm. What do you all do??

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The washing instructions say warm and there have been several reports of mom's who washed in hot having the colours fade (or almost totally disappear). I am not sure if there are any other concerns with washing in hot, other than the colour fading.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have 8 BumGenius and have been washing them in hot with the rest of the diapers (Fuzzi Bunz, PUL AIO's, prefolds, etc). I've only had them a few weeks so I haven't noticed any fading. I think I'd rather have them fade a little and KNOW that they are clean!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good to know. I only have a white one, so I don't care about the color. I'm kind of surprized they are to be washed in warm. I'm new to cd..are there many dipes that are to be washed in warm? I thought hot was important. Anyhow, thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unless you have a super sanitary cycle or live in Europe, there's not gonna be a huge difference washing in warm or hot. The warm does jusr as well for cleaning. At least that's what was said on The Pin...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have washed mine on hot for about 6 months now, daily, with no fading or extra wear and tear. However, the Cotton Babies company does recommend warm washing for the added longevity of the diaper. Those who have researched it have found the temperature difference between your warm and hot cycle is not enough to make any sort of difference on bacteria~
In Europe, the hot wash temp is near boiling, hence the customer who had faded diapers

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephmomtoabby
In Europe, the hot wash temp is near boiling, hence the customer who had faded diapers

She had the worst fading but I have read stories from at least 3-4 other moms, not in Europe, who have also had fading.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoGranola
She had the worst fading but I have read stories from at least 3-4 other moms, not in Europe, who have also had fading.
Some fading may occur in repeated hot washing (from what I have seen in other customers pictures). I know I am not following the instructions, so it is a risk I am taking, KWIM?
But that one customer who had all of the color lost is the one I am thinking of, from Europe

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I'm a hot washer too. Like Stephanie said, I know the directions recommend warm, but I am washing in hot and assuming the risk that there might be some fading (though I don't have any yet). Our water heater might not be set as high as some, since I'm pretty cautious about the temperature and my 16 month old loves to start the tub whenever she can sneak away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts