Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks,I've thought about getting one but it would be just one more thing to have to pack.When I need to put the baby down and sitting I put them in a bouncer or the baby bucket car seat.Works just as well until they can sit up by them selves.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I love my bumbo (or, rather, ds loves his bumbo) but I have to wonder how big this baby was that managed to tip the side... my dd only used it until she could sit on her own, which was about 5 months and 15 lbs, and we never walked away from her in it unless she was on the floor. They put a 9 month baby in it in this article and talk about the kid wiggling out of it. By 9 months, my dd could get IN and OUT on her own (I only know because we were getting out some old baby things and she decided to get in it)... imo it's not really appropriate for a child that size.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Dylan was almost killed because he fell off a tabletop, but the Lamms say the Bumbo instructions led them to believe it was safe to use up high.
I'm sorry but it's common sense to not put a child on the table. I feel bad that the baby was hurt, my heart aches for the parents but common sense says not to leave a child up high in this seat nor leave the child unattended at all in the seat.

I don't like that it's recc'ed for 3 mo, that's too young imo. I borrowed one and haven't used it yet (even at 6 mo, he was preemie, he's not ready for it). My sister wanted one and my first comments were do not leave the baby unattended and do not use it on a high surface.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Why the heck was the kid sitting on the kitchen counter in the darn seat? That is a safty hazard not matter what you have you child in...

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I think the whole idea of a device to "sit up" a baby who is developmentally not ready to sit up is just really unnatural. I can't help but think that so many years down the road we'll find out that it damaged kids' posture or something (of course, if used excessively, but I can see it happening).

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
ITA that it shouldn't be used excessively. My kids never use/used it for more than a half hour a day, but usually that half hour isn't all at one time, either.

On that note, clearly bouncy seats shouldn't be used to excess, either, since there's such a trend toward flat headed infants lately... too much lying on their backs, from what I understand... and you wouldn't want to put a bouncy on a table, either.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
THANK YOU for posting this.

In general I don't like them either, but I have posted several times pointing out that the packaging itself says NOT to use on a raised surface. Too many parents do.
:

-Angela

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
the packaging itself says NOT to use on a raised surface. Too many parents do.
:

-Angela
According to the article:

Quote:
A look at the Bumbo website says use Bumbo "on any level surface.'' It shows babies on top of a picnic table even playing the piano.

"Pictures on the box show several kids in a row sitting on a table," said Licolli.
I've never been a fan of the Dumbo seat.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I would have never purchased one of these, but someone gave me one. I use it when I go to the bathroom or when I'm cooking, cleaning etc. My 4mo dd can't stand to lie down and I don't like to put her in a carseat (and she doesn't like that either. The chair i have specifically says "not for use on raised surfaces.

·
Registered
636 Posts
We used our bumbo for a long time as a booster seat at restaurants. not really at home at all. my son is in the lower precentile so he fit it in it after 1 year for a good while. I liked it because I knew it was clean and seemed more sturdy on the booths than their boosters anyway. That being said, I think the key here, as usual, not to leave the child at all unattended in the seat. But thats just common sense, and a lot of times things cause a false sense of security and people completely forget they need to stay with the child.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by +stella+ View Post
We used our bumbo for a long time as a booster seat at restaurants. not really at home at all. my son is in the lower precentile so he fit it in it after 1 year for a good while. I liked it because I knew it was clean and seemed more sturdy on the booths than their boosters anyway. That being said, I think the key here, as usual, not to leave the child at all unattended in the seat. But thats just common sense, and a lot of times things cause a false sense of security and people completely forget they need to stay with the child.

And I feel forced to point out, once more- that using it as a booster is using it on a raised surface.

-Angela

·
Registered
743 Posts
Quote:

But thats just common sense, and a lot of times things cause a false sense of security and people completely forget they need to stay with the child.

It didn't say anywhere in this article that the mom was not with the child. If she was preparing some dinner on the counter next to the babe (as I've heard the usuage described many times in posts about the Bumbo, at least on another board for sure), she just might not have been able to grab her baby in time if he suddenly twisted out. Same thing if you are using it as a booster and you are just cutting your bite of food right as your child twists out of it. Your baby may have hit their head on the corner of the table and landed on a hard floor as well. Maybe not as severe as falling from the counter, but could still be a serious injury.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If my kid were on a counter top, in a chair with no straps that wasn't also strapped to a surface, like a high chair, Id not be out of arms reach personally. I am not saying I am miss perfect, Im saying that the false sense of security leads to these accidents.

Also, as with a booster seat. I am not out of arms reach of the child, is if they are in a booster seat, you are sitting directly beside them, and in my personal experience, very close as to cut up food, make sure drinks arent being tossed about, etc. I also would never use a booster or a bumbo on a chair at a restaurant. Because there arent the "walls" surrounding them like there is in a booth. A bumbo and a booster on a booth do exactly the same thing, and a bumbo is better imo because it has a sturdier base and you know where its been and whos drooled on it.

But to each their own, I will continue to use a bumbo with future children not on raised surfaces at home and for the purpose of a booster in booths when out because I know I am within arms reach at all times. A kid is able to twist off a couch in a second, roll into a toy on the floor, when learning to crawl have their arm release underneath them and bust a lip, a child can do anything in a very short amount of time. But I do believe when sitting on a raised surface out of arms reach, arms reach being somewhat key, is more of a risk. Life is a risk.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know one of the main things in regards to this is, on the box and in the pictures both on the box and the website (before they removed the website ones) it doesnt say anything about not using it on a raised surface, and even shows pictures of it being used "higher" up. The actual warning about it shouldnt be used on raised surfaces is on the seat itself.

Alot of parents dont read warning labels on items themselves...they figure its the same as the box or package insert. Also alot of parents "do as they see"...so seeing on the box and website that they were being used on tables and such...they just assumed it was ok.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

If my kid were on a counter top, in a chair with no straps that wasn't also strapped to a surface, like a high chair, Id not be out of arms reach personally. I am not saying I am miss perfect, Im saying that the false sense of security leads to these accidents.

Also, as with a booster seat. I am not out of arms reach of the child, is if they are in a booster seat, you are sitting directly beside them, and in my personal experience, very close as to cut up food, make sure drinks arent being tossed about, etc. I also would never use a booster or a bumbo on a chair at a restaurant. Because there arent the "walls" surrounding them like there is in a booth. A bumbo and a booster on a booth do exactly the same thing, and a bumbo is better imo because it has a sturdier base and you know where its been and whos drooled on it.

But to each their own, I will continue to use a bumbo with future children not on raised surfaces at home and for the purpose of a booster in booths when out because I know I am within arms reach at all times. A kid is able to twist off a couch in a second, roll into a toy on the floor, when learning to crawl have their arm release underneath them and bust a lip, a child can do anything in a very short amount of time. But I do believe when sitting on a raised surface out of arms reach, arms reach being somewhat key, is more of a risk. Life is a risk.
These are what we take with us to restauraunts:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...e=cii_10043468 (sorry cant find a decent link to them)

I hate high chairs at restaraunts....dirty and half the time the straps dont work worth crap, plus depending on where you are sitting I hate having my kids in a walkway. And since my little ones are too young for boosters, we grabbed these a few months back to take to a wedding with us, and we have loved using them ever since. We use them mainly in booths, but if we do need/get a table, we make sure to place the boys (strapped in and strapped on a chair of course)on a wall side.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
One time I borrowed a bumbo to try. After using it a few times, I set ds in it in front of his favorite toy (so he was level with it). I walked a few feet away for a minute and heard a little thump - looked over, and he was laying flat on the ground giving me a "wtf???" look. He was NOT crawling or sitting up yet, and he still got out easily.

He was totally fine, but I learned my lesson

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.