Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of these covers on the TP. I like the fit and ease of use with a trifolded prefold, but they're wicking badly--I think just through the leg elastic. Is there anything I can do to re-waterproof them? Is waterproofing spray totally toxic?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Have you tried throwing them in the dryer on the highest heat setting?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually machine wash/hang to dry, but I'll try that! Thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
i had this problem too and it kept getting worse, plus my son was getting a constant rash from them. i thought it was from friction while he walked/crawled since the rash was always on the same spots, right where the elastic touched his skin, then i also noticed the covers seemed to get less and less waterproof too.<br><br>
finally i went to the store (i live in montreal so was able to go to the actual bummis store) and the woman who designed the diaper covers just happened to be there!! basically she told me it sounded to her like there was detergent residue on my covers which interferes with the ability for them to stay waterproof (and also would be the source of my son's rash). she told me to go to their website and there's a whole explanation of what to do to strip them of any residue. she also recommended that i switch to a different detergent and use at the MOST half of what they suggest. she recommended "bio vert" which they have very good luck with, and i did and haven't had any other problems since. and the rash disappeared too.<br><br>
i have to say i was highly skeptical but it totally worked!! i started using them all the time again.<br><br>
here you go: <a href="http://bummis.com/en/BummisCare.html" target="_blank">http://bummis.com/en/BummisCare.html</a><br><br>
"Products that have been damaged by natural cleaning products can sometimes be saved! Repeat the following process twice: Run your covers and diapers through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer’s washing instructions). Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar in the wash - and 1/2 cup vinegar again in first rinse cycle. Run a second rinse cycle with plain water."<br><br>
"# Don’t use any natural cleaning products that contain oils or softeners which may coat the fibers of your diapers or covers. People have reported problems with the following cleaning agents:<br><br>
* All Free and Clear (and other Free and Clear detergents)<br>
* Dr. Bronner’s Soap<br>
* Some versions of Bio-Kleen<br>
* 7Th Generation<br>
* Dreft<br>
* Ivory Snow<br>
* Most "pure soap" products "

·
Registered
251 Posts
also, when i mentioned whether it could be from putting them in the dryer so many times, she said no way, these covers are designed to be very heavy-duty, some hospitals use them and you should be able to throw them in the dryer a kazillion times (ok....maybe not a kazillion but you get the idea).<br><br>
rowan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts