Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about buried penis? My 7 month old has one and we were told that he would grow out of it. Has anyone experienced this and has your son grown out of it? Or in to it rather? Please advise.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Was your son circumcised? I would post about this in the Case Against Circumcision Forum, there are many people there that would have knowledge about this. you will probably get a lot more answers there than here.

·
Registered
849 Posts
sometimes, a chubby baby's' penis can appear to sink into that fat mound there. When he's lying down, and you press around the penis base, does it appear normal and stand up?

My friend had a very large, chunky (okay he was downright fat!) baby for his age (like, wearing 12 mo. size at 3 months) and his lil penis was barely there.

My ds is chunky but not that chunky...and at certain times of day his penis is really small and withdrawn. At others, it stands right up. He's diaperless (we EC) so I have plenty of chances to observe his bod in flux.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes he is circumcized and it does stand up when I press around the base. He is not a chunk but he isn't skinny either (He only gets breastmilk, nothing else at this time.) The pedi said it wasn't from circ but b/c of his fat pad.
What is EC? and what is DS?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Your doc probably lied to save his own butt, because of performing unnecessary surgery on a newborn.
Circumcision is the main cause of buried penis. http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/bergeson/

EC is eliminaton communication and DS is dear son.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
sorry, but your pedi lied. Burried penis is almost always a complication of circumcision.

It means there was too much skin taken and the penis has no where else to go but down.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Yep. It's because of the circumcision. It's a common complication, one of many. Come over to the case against circumcision forum.

-Angela

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
boy, ya'll sure do get up in arms, but SHE didn't do the circ. My midwife did. Not every BP is a botched job folks. His great grandfather had one (though I never saw it) and he was UNCIRCUMCISED and skinny. I just wanted to know when I could anticipate him "growing out of it".

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommieTX
boy, ya'll sure do get up in arms, but SHE didn't do the circ. My midwife did. Not every BP is a botched job folks. His great grandfather had one (though I never saw it) and he was UNCIRCUMCISED and skinny. I just wanted to know when I could anticipate him "growing out of it".
Since you had him circ'd, he may never grow out of it at all unless he has surgery to fix it.

You're right in that not ALL cases of buried penis are caused by circ, but the majority of them are caused by circ, and the cases that were there to begin with are aggravated by circ. I know it's tough to believe (and tough to admit to yourself what you let happen to your son), but it is the truth.

Previous posters are just saying that the vast majority of docs won't tell you the truth about BP, even if they didn't do the original circ.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
you just wanted to know when he would grow out of it?

well, he may never grow out of it. But it sure sounds like you have it all figured out. Glad that you do.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
You might find this website helpful:

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...etail&ref=1125

Basically, you should consult a pediatric urologist to determine whether his penis is trapped, webbed, or just concealed. If it's trapped by scar tissue, it may need surgery. Concealed penises often resolve themselves.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am a nurse who worked in the newborn nursery for about 15 years so I've seen lots of little weenies. I asked a ped friend about those with the buried penises and some of the generally funny looking little dudes we saw sometimes and he said just about all of them turn out looking fine. Can't give you a time line but it will grow.
Sorry but I also feel the need to apologize for people jumping your case after you just asked a question.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
why is it that ppl can't provide accurate information without being accused of jumping on the OP? i read nothing here that suggests anyone is being anything less than supportive and informatative.
if you circ. your babies, there may be problems. period.
sorry if your son's circ. may be the issue, but i think you need to know that it is possible.

jeez!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
No one jumped on her. They simply asked if he was circumcised to better ascertain if that was likely the cause of the problem. If you read the provided links, you will see that they explain that circumcision causes or exacerbates the condition. It's not us "getting up in arms", it's us telling you the truth- something many doctors won't do when it comes to talking about the complications of circumcision. Maybe this will make you rethink it if you have more sons in the future.

Sometimes they do not grow out of it.

My DP has buried or concealed penis. He told me that, as a child, he asked his mother if there was something wrong with him because it was like that. He definitely had an aggressive circ- he has hair on the shaft and the skin from his testicles is pulled onto the shaft as well, from the doctor cutting so much foreskin off.

Now he is an overweight adult, and his penis is hidden by the fat pad. Let me tell you that it can be very disconcerting to see him getting dressed, and basically see a hole where his penis should be hanging. Thank goodness he still has normal function when he is erect. (As normal as it gets when you're not intact, that is.)

I love this man more than anything- he should not have been subjected to this surgery which damaged him when he was a newborn
No one should. I hope your son gets luckier than my DP.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
The HUGE majority of cases of buried penis are cause by circumcision. Those are the ones that are often not "fixable"

-Angela

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My girlfriend's 7 year old still has a buried penis; definitely caused by his circ
He's been through hell already and will never have a normal sex life

·
Registered
849 Posts
this was this OP's very FIRST post here.

be gentle guys

mommie in TX, we use some lingo so often it's helpful to have shortcuts (I think there's a stickie of terms in...Questions and Suggestions, I think)

DS is dear son, and EC is for elimination communication (going diaperless, allowing baby to pee on cue when possible in a little potty or a sink)

there's lots to learn here; don't let people's attitude turn you off from exploring this site throroughly! I didn't start out going diaperless! Okay that sounds funny but YKWIM--you know what I mean!

And my ds is circumcised too (we're Jewish) enough said.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
: No one was less than gentle with her. Please quote wherever you see that someone was rude? In fact, there was a post in the circ forum asking us to come and help, because we have knowledge of these things. So we did, sharing with her the reason for her son's condition and that it may or may not resolve. All we got in return was defensiveness for her "choice" to circ her son (and WTF kind of midwife does circumcisions? She's a disgrace to her profession.)

There is NO good reason to routinely circumcise newborns. There are no medical reasons. So I do not quite understand your apparent solidarity with the OP because your sons are both circumcised? She does not appear to be Jewish, since it was not done by a mohel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts