Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it is true. This progressive city I thought I lived in decided by a vote of 7 to 6, it decided the city should not encourage mothers to nurse their babies.

Some councilors said it is not a "core mission" of the city.

I want to do something. this makes me so mad

Here is the link:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...607210306/1007

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wow thats crazy. I live in North Bennington now, and id like to believe Bennington county is supportive of encouraging moms to bf. Our hospital is great at it anyway. I am not native to VT, i came here about 2 yrs ago...and how different it is here. I come from Long Island NY and down there, they laugh at you in the hospital if you want to breastfeed. They laugh and say "Why would you want to do that? Theres perfectly good milk in bottles." I was like, what is this, the 40's and 50's??? Are you that closed minded? Unfortunately I didnt know much about homebirth with my first three children and went to a hospital where i demanded, and wrote in my chart, that my child be fed strictly breastmilk. All of my children were tainted when I awoke one morning at 3am to nurse my baby and found her being fed formula. They said it was better for her since she had jaundice. Can you believe the crap they are telling new moms! Down where I come from, they send you home with cases of formula. There was only one nurse in the entire maternity ward who was pro breastfeeding, and actually would help new moms to breastfeed. I dont know how anyone on LI can survive being a crunchy or even semi crunchy mama because there is totally no support down there. I have found it so much easier to be myself up here and breastfeed without being scoffed at. I am surprised about your city though

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I say we organize a mass nurse in! I'm gonna pass the link on the my local mamas group,( Here in MPLR) they can figure out some kick a$$ way to deal with this supression!
We go to B'town quite alot.....I'm not gonna stop NIP for anyone!

Ya know it's they are all about seperation & division from nature... so shall they reap what they sow!..I say we focus on encouraging more mamas to NIP

Bless!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wrote a letter in response to the Freepress. I will post it here if it gets printed (doubt it though)

I had heard there was a breastfeed week event this coming Sat 7/29 at City Hall. I had heard the LLL and the Burlington Health Dept was putting it on. I haven't been able to find any info on it. Now I know why.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts