Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried a home sugaring recipe to remove the hair on my upper lip. Basically, it's like waxing, only using a sugar mixture instead of wax.

Apparently the mixture was too hot when I first tried it and I burned a small part of my upper lip. I smothered zinc oxide cream on it, and took some extra vitamin C and E- is there anything else I should be doing?

The last time I removed the hair on my upper lip I used a commercial wax mixture and followed with their chemical-laden numbing cream- how long is this going to be sore???

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
there was a thread a couple days ago about a really bad sunburn. i am going to spell her name wrong but i believe it was coopnwhitsmommy?

search for "really bad sunburn" . i think it got moved to health and healing.

people suggested vinegar . aloe vera is good if applied often.

burns last a few days. did it blister?

·
Registered
169 Posts
OUCH! We use aloe vera for such a boo boo. It's the best remedy for burns that I know. The fresh stuff works better than the bottled stuff. I've got aloe plants coming out of my ears, let me know and I'll mail you one for your next such accident. you can find it in a bottle at just about any grocery or drug store with the sunscreen. I hope this helps and that you feel better soon.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any aloe in the house right now, and I'm trying NOT to buy extra stuff right now because we're moving in less than a month.

No blisters, but a small spot has some skin peeled off- probably from yanking off the cooled sugar mixture from the recently burned spot.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
HI!!! I'm bad sunburn girl! Aloe Vera Gel worked great as did the Vinegar. Also a cold wet towel. Or maybe a washcloth in your case.
Avoid using lotions, moisturizers, or ointments that contain any kind of oil. If you need to moisturize your face use baby lotion as that has no oil in it. I hope your lip feels better soon!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about sunscreen? Hannah's field day is tomorrow (so I can't just spend the day indoors) and the LAST thing I need is to get a sunburn on top of this!!!

Also- why no creams with oil? I already put on an oil-based zinc oxide cream- would I do more damage trying to wash it off? Should I just use vinegar over it?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
the oil holds the heat in. it might be making it hurt worse, the zinc creme you put on. you mean like a desitin type of thing? cuz thats a barrier cream and will probably hold heat in even more

if you want, you can try to gently wash it but if its been soaking in for a while i would leave it alone. hold something cool on it. tomorow can you wear a sunhat instead of sunscreen?
how awful, really, to hav a burn like that on your lip! ow!

EDITED : i meant SUNHAT, not SUNHEAT , :LOL

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
no idea what is in it or if it is safe :dk but my cousin gave me a packet of Waterjel- i burnt myself really bad last week with an iron. I put that on it and it was AWESOME! Stopped hurting instantly and i dont think it is going to scar.

So i guess since you dont have it on hadn then nevermind, but maybe for future reference.

Amy

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
HONEY is fantastic for burns.

I burn myself so rarely, I forget how great honey is, but not long ago I was repairing some plumbing in our basement. I used the torch, turned it off, then promptly rested the incredibly hot tip on the back of one of my fingers!

It was very painful... and it was a few hours before I remembered honey. I dabbed some on, and instantly the pain was gone, and never came back. The angry red spot faded quickly, and never even peeled.
Try it!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, it's feeling a little better today. I opened up a vitamin E capsule and squeezed a little bit on the spots that are sore- hopefully that will help prevent scarring.

I didn't put the zinc oxide (yup, a desitin type thing, but generic) on right away- I didn't use anything at first (I was using the sugaring mixture to remove hair from other parts of my face, once it cooled to the right temp
) and then I rinsed with cool water and patted dry VERY gently, and then put the zinc oxide on after it was definitely cooled off. I think I'll put more zinc oxide on before heading out to field day- besides being soothing, it's a natural sunscreen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramlah
HONEY is fantastic for burns.

I burn myself so rarely, I forget how great honey is, but not long ago I was repairing some plumbing in our basement. I used the torch, turned it off, then promptly rested the incredibly hot tip on the back of one of my fingers!

It was very painful... and it was a few hours before I remembered honey. I dabbed some on, and instantly the pain was gone, and never came back. The angry red spot faded quickly, and never even peeled.
Try it!

: I always forget this and it's right there on the counter all the time. This reminds of another remedy
that is great for new mom's to know...Sugar is a great way to stop the bleeding when your little ones' cut the inside of their mouth. I have used this one a lot with 3 boys, it works right away. They've done things like bite through their tongue and stab a fork into the roof of their mouth.
: sorry, I'll quit rambling now. I hope your lip is feeling better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts