Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that he can't blame it on Clinton anymore...<br><br><a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11335-2003Sep1.html" target="_blank">http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Sep1.html</a><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">President Bush announced steps to help bring jobs to the nation's hard-pressed manufacturing industry today, beginning with what administration officials said would be increased pressure on China to change currency policies that help Chinese firms undercut U.S. competitors.<br><br>
"We have a responsibility that when somebody hurts, government has got to move," Bush told a Labor Day crowd of union workers on a muddy lot studded with cranes, loaders and graders.<br><br>
Until today, Bush had insisted that his tax cuts, along with a few other measures he long ago submitted to Congress, would eventually create a job for every American who wanted one. But with the president gearing up for the 2004 campaign and polls giving him poor marks for his handling of the economy, the White House is searching for new ways to bolster employment rolls, which have not rebounded along with other indicators that are showing signs of recovery.</td>
</tr></table></div>
And further:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">"See, we in America believe we can compete with anybody, just so long as the rules are fair," Bush said. "And we intend to keep the rules fair."</td>
</tr></table></div>
AAAAIIIIGH!!<br><br>
My question is: who will buy this one? Any takers? Anyone??<br><br>
Oh, and just FYI:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">...around 2.5 million jobs have been lost since Mr. Bush took office, the great majority of them in manufacturing.</td>
</tr></table></div>
This is from <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/politics/02BUSH.html?hp" target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/po...02BUSH.html?hp</a><br>

·
Registered
812 Posts
It was much funnier when he blamed the news media for the recession. The quote was something like, No wonder the Amercian people aren't spending their money. All they see on tv is "March to War", "March to War".<br><br>
Like Fox made that up all by themselves.<br><br>
My grandfather has been predicting this for the last 20 years. As long as we continue to ship our jobs overseas, there will be fewer people with fewer dollars in the US to buy their stupid products. I don't think relying on our service sector for the majority of our GNP is a healthy long term decision, IMHO.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Hilary, one of the issues you highlight goes right along with something that takes my gourd every time I see it in print: Bush's use of "I believe...." Here, it was<br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">"The economy is beginning to grow," he said, "and that's what I'm interested in. I believe there are better days ahead."</td>
</tr></table></div>
(from the NY Times article)<br><br>
AAAARGH!!! I DON'T GIVE A TOSS WHAT BUSH BELIEVES!!! Why on earth should anyone take the slightest bit of comfort or confidence from Bush saying "I believe that the economy's improving," or "I believe we're about to find Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein," or "I believe that we're all going to start floating around on flying carpets, and that this will be a manifestation of God's will that we win over the heathen infidel Islamic nations and give all their oil to deserving U.S. corporations." I mean, who on earth cares what this [ <i>words deleted so the mods don't complain</i> ] "believes" about ANYTHING??<br><br>
Vent over.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by Marlena</i><br><b><br>
AAAAIIIIGH!!<br><br>
My question is: who will buy this one? Any takers? Anyone??<br><br></b></td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Oh, lots and lots of people will "buy" this. For example 1) all the people who base their votes (IF they vote) on how "presidential" a person looks on television; 2) all those who don't want to dig any further if they see someone wrapped in the flag so they just go in the booth and pull the lever for someone who'll treat them like a replaceable serf; and 3) all the "one-issue" voters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts