Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this just happened right now.....i thought it was so wonderful but then the news commentator was saying that its going to be hard to pass it in congress...and i was just wondering if this was a strategic move, so that Bush could look more generous and the world will turn thier criticism to the american democrats instead of him?

i dunno. i am not a conspiracy theorist by any means but it seems a feasable political move, and it just bothers me. but it is WONDERFUL they upped the aid. its really good. i just dont look forward to the politicking around it.
:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
well, interesting thing, the word "pledge". because as i understand it, bush has YET to make good on the "pledge" of financial aid he gave to Iran for the earthquake that killed over 40,000 and leveled the city of Bam. Talk is mighty cheap.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I too think it is wonderful, but I fear the damage has been done from a public relations point of view. The extremists can tell the moderate muslims that we are upping the aid only because we were criticized, that it is not meant from the heart. And how can we argue against that?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
So, are we ahead now? Are we winning? Has the US pledged more than any other country? Cuz thats all this is, a pissing match.....

Atleast its for a good cause, but its so transparent. And no, the US is not the only country guilty of this by any means.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree with you that its a pissing match, and that at least its for a good cause. in fact i wish they would fight over who is the most generous more often, instead of fighting over who gets the most oil. woudnt that be an interesting take on a utopia? it just gives me this fantasy that the politicians in power will be so motivated by their greed for political recognition, that they will start saving the world. eventually the poor are comfortable enough that politics themelves start to change and truly generous souls move into governmental positions. By the time the emperors notice they have no clothes its too late...yet the only thing they suffer is humiliation, then they themselves discover humility. and the world becomes a more just place and we all live happily ever after

the end

by stirringleaf

:LOL

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nursing Mother
From what I read, they didn't want it or refused much of it. I'm not aware of the deails thought. I have no links to prove this and have just heard bits and pieces of this story. So if someone would like to search his out, I'll love to know the truth....Rowans dad....you out there.????
I just have no time to hunt.

Anyways that is good news stirringleaf

I believe they refused aid only from Israel.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Here's what bugs me about this entire discussion of US disaster relief. We live in a world where the rich countries are getting richer and the poor countries are getting poorer. And, there is simply no way you can look at this issue of inequality in the distribution of wealth and say that there is no relationship between our increasing wealth and the increasing poverty and immirseration of much of the rest of the world.

It is also very clear that there is a direct correlation between poverty and casualties and fatalities from natural disasters. The statistics here are indisputable. The same size earthquake that kills 10 people in California will kill thousands in Iraq or Turkey. A hurricane that kills hundreds or thousands in Mexico will kill 10 or 20 when it hits the US. This is due to better infrastructure (roads, evac plans etc) stronger buildings, better forcasting, better communications technology, health care systems, FEMA, the national guard....the list can go on and on. And many of these things are the direct result of better political systems and wealth.

So it really angers me to see the US, which takes little responsibility for alleviating global poverty, and some would argue actively perpetuates that poverty, claim to be generous because we can now give 350 mil for disaster relief. If we are truly honest about it we would have to admit that we bear some responsibility for the depth of this disaster. It is not just an act of God that more than 100,000 people were killed. An real focus on global poverty and democracy, and addressing corruption rather than exploiting it for our benefit would save so many more lives in the long run. Yes, we have to be generous now, but whatever generosity we can squeeze out of our "stingy" government now in no way relieves us of the responsibility for tomorrow, and the next day and the next year....

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, i thought i HAD made a typo---that it was supposed to be135 million...but no, thank you for your keen eye Pikkumye, but they riased it today. my thread title is still wrong its actually 350 million!

Quote:
CNN) -- -- The United States will increase its aid pledge from $35 million to $350 million to help victims of the tsunamis in south Asia, CNN has learned.
"The increase followed criticism that the initial amount was far from enough.

The director of the U.S. Agency for International Development told CNN on Friday that the $35 million pledge was only the first step in U.S. aid to the countries that were devastated by Sunday's earthquake and tsunamis."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/31/us.aid/index.html

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jessica if there were a smilie that got bonked on the head and then had its eyes opened to the light of day, i would post it right now. thank you for that insightful post. you are right on.

i have the same sentiment on a smaller scale about poverty in the US and how low income people here can rarely rise above thier social status, are vulnerable to more disease, etc becasue it costs $1,000 for a decent bed to sleep on and sleep depivation alone affects judgement, health, etc. then add in how low income people dont have as much access to nutritious foods . its 99 cents for 3 boxes of Kraft mac and cheese....i was raised on that. and we drive more dangerous crappier cars with emission probs, we have our kids in cheaper carseats, etc. there is something so wrong with that. there is a whole structure that one has to leap out of if they want to rise above even the smaller scale poverty in america. so i find your perspective on the tsunami/disaster situation to be so amazingly on the mark. thank you again. im going to read it to DH now.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Here's what bugs me about this entire discussion of US disaster relief. We live in a world where the rich countries are getting richer and the poor countries are getting poorer. And, there is simply no way you can look at this issue of inequality in the distribution of wealth and say that there is no relationship between our increasing wealth and the increasing poverty and immirseration of much of the rest of the world.

It is also very clear that there is a direct correlation between poverty and casualties and fatalities from natural disasters. The statistics here are indisputable. The same size earthquake that kills 10 people in California will kill thousands in Iraq or Turkey. A hurricane that kills hundreds or thousands in Mexico will kill 10 or 20 when it hits the US. This is due to better infrastructure (roads, evac plans etc) stronger buildings, better forcasting, better communications technology, health care systems, FEMA, the national guard....the list can go on and on. And many of these things are the direct result of better political systems and wealth.

So it really angers me to see the US, which takes little responsibility for alleviating global poverty, and some would argue actively perpetuates that poverty, claim to be generous because we can now give 350 mil for disaster relief. If we are truly honest about it we would have to admit that we bear some responsibility for the depth of this disaster. It is not just an act of God that more than 100,000 people were killed. An real focus on global poverty and democracy, and addressing corruption rather than exploiting it for our benefit would save so many more lives in the long run. Yes, we have to be generous now, but whatever generosity we can squeeze out of our "stingy" government now in no way relieves us of the responsibility for tomorrow, and the next day and the next year....

Was going to edit this down to quote it, but it all should be repeated.

ITA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.