Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of creating an online store, I will be selling mostly homemade stuff and if that goes well, I am going to try to sell other stuff too. My question is, do I need to get a business liscense right away? Also, how much do they cost? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any info that answers my questions, so I thought you ladies might have some advice. TIA

·
Registered
142 Posts
The best place to look to see if you need a business license for your state is your state's Dept. of Revenue. I was able to find all the info for my state online and even apply for the business license.

In my state (IL), it was free. I would definitely look into this soon b/c you may be required to collect sales tax and then report it back to your state.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, technically you need to have a business license. You need it to legally sell stuff and you will also be responsible for collecting state sales tax when you sell to in-state customers.

Like the OP said, your state Dept of Revenue will be the best place to look....or you might also want to call your county clerk of the court office.

I think my license is $75 a year.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I'm in Canada and things seem to be alot easier to start a hbb here but called the city to see if I needed a business. I told them I had an online business and asked if I needed a business liscence. At that time I was going in 1 venue for a sale(I now go every 2 weeks). My main focus then(a whopping 4 months ago,lol) was the online international community. Due to what I sell(mostly homemade products) I was able to get the cheapest liscence. I don't even know what kind it is, small business I think. It was $35C for a year and it covers me going into any venue in town. I'm also in a border town but she said it covers both Saskatchewan and Alberta. I live in Alberta but the venues are in Saskatchewan.

Actually, I just got a call from the city on Friday. Someone had received my business card but when they looked up my liscence they couldn't find it. I told them I most definitly do have one and they rechecked and found it. If I did not have that liscence they would have been able to shut me down until I got it.

I have no idea if my home is zoned for a hbb though, because customers rarely(I've only had 1 and she wasn't really a customer) come to my house I don't think it'd be a big deal to get the zoning changed if I needed it to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts