Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been awhile since I last posted. We had to move so the business planning got put on hold for a couple of months. Anyway, I am back into it now and re-motivated about getting our business started (website selling childrens' products made and imported from Thailand, where DH, DD and I used to live - DH is Thai). I have met with a bank about getting a line of credit through the SBA loan guarantee program and am working with a business counselor to get the business plan together.
I was wondering if any of you other WAHMs have been through this process and have any helpful advice as it is sooooo overwhelming. Particularly any words of wisdom concerning market research and industry competition information. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My best suggestion is to find a fellow importer and ask questions. If you can find one that imports similar items but different enough that you aren't competition - you will have answers to questions you never even thought to ask. Especially if you find one nice enough to really converse with you. But don't forget a very nice thank you gift to show you appreciate their time... chances are you might need their expertice down the road too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I have actually met with someone who imports stuff from SE Asia and Thailand as well. And it was very helpful in getting some good contacts at the shipping and customs ports as well as figuring out costs of shipping/duties. I am more trying to gather the market and industry research needed for the business plan to bring to the bank. This is more about the kids industry and e-commerce industry as well as my target market than about the fact that the things come from Thailand. Anyway, if anyone knows any good websites or books, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear. The fellow importers have already done this as well and can get you in the right direction. I think it's best to get info from people that have btdt. You can also contact people who sell to your target market (but not necessarily the same items) for info on where they did their research. Again they won't have your specific answers but they will have the info about where that specific info is located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts