Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you wear a sixteen month old active baby in a MT?? mine always wants to get down and walk which is no big deal in a ring sling hip carry, but the MT is such a production to get on and off. am i destined to sell my really cute babyhawk MT on the TP? how do you *really* carry your toddlers??

·
Registered
861 Posts
I carry ds in my arms. I love my mt too (well its actually a onbu bh) but it is such a pain to get on and off with a toddler who wants everything "right now".
I am keeping my onbu because it can be used for years and we dont own any strollers but in the mean time its in the living room on the floor and ds cuddles the minkee.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Toddlerhood is what the MT is for IMO
In stores and out-and-about it's not an option, on my back or in the cart.

-Angela

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't know how you tie your MT but when I carry my kid on my back I can slip the arms off like a backpack and get him right out and continue to wear the MT tied around my waist. it hangs down and kinda looks like I have a shirt tied around my waist, and then when I need to I can put the kid back up there and just put my arms back throught the straps (just like a backpack)...in that way it's kinda "popable"

I really like that feature for when we have to make a trip with multiple stops, I only have to put the thing "on" once and then I can get him in and out as much as I need to.

but I do agree with angela in the sense that "out-and-about [walking around is] not an option"

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I only use a back carry, it's just as easy as any other carry and honestly I think I get him in that faster than a hotsling. If he's antsy I usually just give him a snack to nibble on while hes back there. I even get him on there while he's sleeping LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
My kiddo is small and I tend to go with unpadded mei tais, but I usually just pretie and then drop hre in the top, then pull her back out again.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
That's the age my DS stopped wanting to be in the mt and would freak out each time I tried to wear him in it. I could still use pouches for quick in/outs but I just couldn't wear him for more than about 20 min w/out him going nuts.
But don't sell it just yet!
My DS is 20 mos now and I can wear him on my back again for hikes and longer trips. I just have to have snacks to occupy his hands!

I think at around 15 mos they just have to get all that new found energy out with walking/running everywhere and can't stand being carried for long.
Hang in there, he'll be carried again soon I bet!
Ann

·
Registered
308 Posts
I do what Prensa does, just slip the shoulder straps off and let it hang around my waist until my dd wants back in. But I also don't give her too much choice in the grocery store -- mei tai or seat in the cart. Not safe to let her down, she tries to go shopping by herself. lol

I agree with AnnR33 too. My dd went through a phase where she refused to be worn and I was so sad.
About 16-22 months. Now she's 22 months and wants to be worn again pretty often.
Yay!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prensa
I don't know how you tie your MT but when I carry my kid on my back I can slip the arms off like a backpack and get him right out and continue to wear the MT tied around my waist. it hangs down and kinda looks like I have a shirt tied around my waist, and then when I need to I can put the kid back up there and just put my arms back throught the straps (just like a backpack)...in that way it's kinda "popable"

I really like that feature for when we have to make a trip with multiple stops, I only have to put the thing "on" once and then I can get him in and out as much as I need to.

but I do agree with angela in the sense that "out-and-about [walking around is] not an option"
ditto!

·
Registered
703 Posts
When my 2nd child was around that age he insisted on walking all the time. I let him walk most of the time. He got over that phase and then wanted to be carried again until he was about 2.5yo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts