Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Ladies

I have been lurking for awhile but this is my first post on MDC...
My dh and I are GD parents, which is why I am posting this here...it's not really a big problem (just annoying lol!) but I thought you mama's might have some creative solutions

Ok, my dd is 16 months and for the past few months EVERYTIME dh or I eat something she wants it...even though it ususally is the same as what she has

Usually what we have done has been to share our food with her. Now that was fine but she has started demanding the whole thing for herself! Sometimes I want my own piece of toast to myself! she still demands it after having more than enough to eat. She's not overweight but like me she loves how food tastes
and thinks every food product is for her. It's gotten so bad I can't eat unless she does and even then she cries for mine

Everytime I explain that this is mommy's food or mommy is hungry too and needs some food it results in cryfest 2006! Then I think "well, I should pick my battles and just give her a bite because it's not a biggie"
But, oh mommies, when will it end???

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
If she allready has her own there isn't anything wrong with telling her "no". I don't share my food once the kids are able to sit on their own to eat. It's just "my thing". If this is a boundry that you'd like to draw I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just to commiserate, my 2 1/2 year old DS announced "I don't like the kind of food on your plate, Mommy!" as we were served while eating out a month or two ago... I told him "That is why you ordered your own dinner. You have food on your plate for you to eat, and I have food on my plate for me to eat." He wasn't entirely satisfied with the response, but at least I got to eat my own food!

Now, if I could only get DD to do the same...

Good luck, lurable!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers
If she allready has her own there isn't anything wrong with telling her "no". I don't share my food once the kids are able to sit on their own to eat. It's just "my thing". If this is a boundry that you'd like to draw I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
Exactly. It is a "biggie" If it bothers you (and who wouldn't it bother). Its time to just say no.

You'd be amazed at how fast this type of behavior ends when they know you are not "conflicted" over drawing a personal boundry. But if they feel that indecision.....not good.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
nak - but that's the thing. if it bothers you, then you can put your foot down. me, the eating from my plate doesn't bother me one bit, but there are things that do that i put a stop to. or i ask him to respect my wishes and usually because he's respected in his life, he will respect me. not always, because you know, he's two, but enough that i know the message is getting through.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What I would do is to start the meal by having her help you make plates - one toast for mommy, one toast for dd, one toast for daddy, salad for mommy, salad for dd, salad for daddy. She can see what is going on each plate and feel some control over it. Then when you sit down to eat you can direct her to the item on her plate and remind her when she's all done she could have more (if that's what you do).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts