Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the butt sweater instructions say to sew, what does that mean exactly?
Hope that doesn't sound too dumb!!! Like, just pull out my sewing machine and go to work? Do I have to zig zag the edges first or something to keep them from unraveling? Do I put the seams on the outside so that they don't irritate baby? But then it will look funny....
Help please!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just sewed them up with a plain ol' straight stitch. The seams are on the inside. I would think zig zag on the edges might make them a bit irritating. I think I have seen some w/seams on the outside. Might be kind of cute w/contrasting thread and a really tight zig zag.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I just put right sides together with a little bit of overlap and stitch? Did you cut away the excess on the inside of the seam when you were finished? Sorry, but I just can't imagine it not being irritating. Maybe I should try a flat seam? Or could I possibly just lay the pieces so close together that I could do a tight zigzag across and catch both pices, trying to make it seamless?
Beginner self-taught sewer here, sorry for the abundance of questions!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perogi
Beginner self-taught sewer here, sorry for the abundance of questions!!

Same here, actually. I started w/butt sweaters, lol. I've made about 8 of them. The first few were rough, but they improve quickly. I don't think laying them next to each other and stitching would work. It would probably not be a very strong seam. I did trim the excess down and they don't seem to bother ds, but not much does. Thank god he doesn't seem to have the sensitivity issues dd does, lol.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DD is asleep - I think I'll give it a go!! I'm not sure that the sweater is actually big enough....oh well, if it is too small I'll just put it away for the next one!
I hope it works because my spending is on a freeze for the rest of the month and I really want to try wool at night!!
Thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.