Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't know what to use that would be healthiest. Butter, margarine, or those "buttery spreads" like Country Crock, I Can't Believe It's not Butter, etc.

We have toast, or biscuits, or muffins almost every single day. And I really don't like to always have jam/jelly or honey on everything. I also put a little pat of butter-spread on steamed vegetables at dinner time too.

I have always just used Country Crock butter tasting spread because it only has 50 calories and no trans fats. But it does have partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it. And after looking at all the other alternative butter spreads, I see they have partially hydrogenated oils in them too--but obviously only trace amounts or there would be trans-fats listed on the package. I read somewhere that if it has 1 gram, it has to be listed, but up to .9 grams can be listed as 0/none. But I wonder how much that adds up in our bodies overtime...

But now I wonder if it's better to just use real butter? Then it could even be organic too. But it has so much fat in it! Ack. Isn't that just as bad?

Whats a butter loving gal to do?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Of those options, butter - especially organic - if definitely the healthiest choice IMO!

I would never choose the hydrogenated oils - they are very, very bad for you!

There is Earth Balance, which is a non-hydrogenated soy spread that isn't too bad if you consume soy.

For cooking, coconut oil is another option.

Oh yeah - and flax oil (you can't cook with it) is an option for serving on your veggies. Yum!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Organic butter for toast and stuff, all the way. I use olive oil for most cooking, though.

They all are 100 percent fat, so "less fat" isn't really a criteria to compare them. Certainly butter has more saturated fat, but as long we're talking a pat here or there, it's not hurting you. And certainly there is no taste comparison at all.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Butter ... organic/cultured or raw. It's healthy fat, btw. And, coconut oil for cooking and flax oil or olive oil for non-cooking use (like for salads or dipping bread).

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Plus it's the yummiest.
:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
here is Earth Balance, which is a non-hydrogenated soy spread that isn't too bad if you consume soy.
this is what we use.......only to spead on toast/ bread. oils for cooking

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Margerine is a fake food...please use butter. There were fewer heart attacks before the widespread use of margerine/hydogenated oils and people even ate more butter back then. The fats in butter also helps your body utilize the vitamins in vegetables and other foods.

Happy eating,
Jennifer

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
so what about smart balance? hmm..... i have cocunut oil.... can this be used to butter toast?
Smart Balance is made by the same company that makes Earth Balance (which I LOVE and use quite a bit), but it is not dairy free (if that matters at all) and it has a lot more "chemicals" than Earth Balance. Still, it doesn't have hydrogonated oils (trans fats) it in so I would think it's a lot better for you than any other margarine.

~Kelsie

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
so what about smart balance? hmm..... i have cocunut oil.... can this be used to butter toast?
I personally would not use smart balance....I think that coconut oil might be good on toast....I put it in fruit smoothies too.

Jennifer

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newcastlemama
Margerine is a fake food...please use butter. There were fewer heart attacks before the widespread use of margerine/hydogenated oils and people even ate more butter back then. The fats in butter also helps your body utilize the vitamins in vegetables and other foods.
:

Butter is not a bad fat, trans fats are.

My friend uses coconut oil, which at room temp should be a similiar consistancy to butter, on her bread. That along with butter are a *much* better choice than any margarine or modern oil spreads.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I found a recipe for 'better butter'--it's like homemade margarine except you know where all the ingred.come from---I don't have it in front of me-but it was like 2 sticks butter 1 cup oil (canola or olive) and you whirl it in a blender and store in the fridge---it tastes great very buttery but less sat. fat + it also makes the butter go further butter is expensive---I think there is one version w/ lethicin (sp?) in it as well. I had just googled it after having some at a friends.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nak...typing with one hand

thanks for all the replys! Can't wait to start eating yummy butter and know it's better for me too

I'd love the spreadable butter recipe if you find the time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts