Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made my first butter two days ago and I have about a pint of buttermilk from doing it. What can I use the buttermilk for? We don't eat a lot of breads, muffins, pankcakes, or biscuits and those are the only things I can think of to use it in. We don't have any dietary restrictions and will try nearly anything. What can I do to keep from wasting this? Would using it in an omelet give it an odd taste? It isn't cultured so I'm guessing it will have a very mild flavor? I can tell you I don't plan to taste it to find out!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Here's a yummy chicken "fingers" recipe that uses buttermilk as a marinade. I use MUCH less oil when I cook it though! I serve it with a homemade honey mustard for dipping. DH loves this recipe!!!

Other than that I usually make biscuits and waffles or scones.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Buttermilk fried chicken uses buttermilk as part of the coating -- you could make it baked chicken, too, if you're not hip on frying. Buttermilk also makes a great additive to mashed potatoes in place of part or all of the milk.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
Use it to make salad dressing. I make ranch dressing w/buttermilk all the time.

That sounds great!
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
I use my buttermilk in baking. My cornbread is so good with buttermilk and bacon grease or raw butter. My family loves it!
Suzy

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Sure! I think cornbread with bacon grease and buttermilk sounds pretty tasty... Ahh, I am a Southern girl at heart if not by location!

Ranch Dressing (or Dip)

1/4 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh chives
salt, pepper to taste
1/2 cup mayo
1/2--1 cup buttermilk depending on how thin/thick you like your dressing. You can also use 1 cup of sour cream to make it dip, but we use them pretty interchangeably too, putting dip on our salads and dipping veggies in our dressing! The first few times I made this I measured pretty carefully but now I just eyeball the spices and herbs and throw it all together. It's pretty foolproof, and of course you can use dried parsley and chives too, just use more. I also have added other stuff -- like chopped chipotle peppers for a southwestern ranch, chopped spinach, garlic, etc. Have fun, and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yummy! I am so glad I asked! Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts