Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we own one car, a very reliable car. My husband is taking the car with him when he goes on a business trip that's 2000 miles away. Flying isn't an option, because he needs a flexible return date. Not having a car for me is not an option because I can't get dd to daycare.<br><br>
Ideally we'll be able to live for a year with only one car, with the exception of this next month. That would enable us to save some money on car repairs, gas, insurance, etc.<br>
I can rent a car for ~ a month for 525 dollars. New car, insured, etc. Or I found two possible cars to purchase: 1991 toyota camry wagon $1300 or 1988 volvo $1000. I prefer a toyota or a honda. With the rental the $$ is basically all spent in one month vs. one of the other two I have to gamble on reliability for a month and then there's a long term prospect of having a second car. WWYD and why?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would rent, but have DH rent. THen if employer doesn't reimburse, I would claim it on my taxes. Besides, keeps milage down on your own vehicle. But you could probably claim your vehicle milage on the car anyway....<br><br>
I would also rent because although I have had very reliable transportation for little, we have also been stranded. Check with your insurance company about what they cover if you are in a rental, mine covers me.<br><br>
Licence, insurance, taxes and possibly repairs are all guarenteed for a purchased vehicle, no matter what the selling price.<br><br>
For a month? I would rent.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
If you buy the car, you will have added expenses for title transfer, sales tax, insurance, maintanance. Of course, you could turn around and sell it again in 4-8 weeks. If that's the case, then you're out the cost of 1-2 months of insurance, the title/tax and the time invested in buying and selling it again.<br><br>
Let's assume you can sell the car (either one) for the same price you buy it. Then how much will owning that car for 1-2 months cost? Is the difference between that and the rental cost worth the additional hassle? That's a number you'll have to come up with and decide for yourself.<br><br>
Is it *just* the daycare transportation you need? Could you pay another mom for a daily ride for that time? How much is a twice daily cab ride? (Do you even have cabs there? :LOL )

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm. kind of where I'm at. but the frugal part of me is saying "geez it all goes down the toilet at the end of the month" but....so would the $$ spent on repair bills and being stranded.<br><br>
my husband's a phd candidate. he's returning to where he is actually enrolled in school (working in minnesota, school in nc) to take his final exam and finish up his work towards his degree). We're paying -- so we were planning on deducting $$ on the taxes as school expense either way.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Geofizz</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">(Do you even have cabs there? :LOL )</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
:LOL<br><br>
yes. cabs would be like 20 bucks a day. i could take the bus to work, but erin's daycare is like 2-3 miles off the very end of the bus route. I suggested to erik that I just throw the bike on the bus and take erin in the bike seat, but he was concerned about foul weather, our safety, etc.<br><br>
perhaps procrastination is the best thing here....we pick up the rental on wednesday. and there's the possibility that we would be able to return the car early so it would be cheaper.<br><br>
Investigating carpooling to daycare. My committee member lives right across from work and his kids are there most every day...perhaps I could work something out with them. hmm. food for thought there.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
If you rent, having your dh take the rental is a great idea. Most rental companies have unlimited miles and it would be able to be deducted as a business expense. If you want to get a 2nd car and this is just an extra incentive to do it now, rather than later- make the purchase.

·
Banned
123 Posts
I think we'd probably have him take a rental with unlimited miles. When we drove on a trip a couple of years ago one of the rental places had an online special so we got a good price too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts