Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mamas need a bit of advice...<br><br>
Currently were living with inlaws..saving for a house.<br><br>
Dh and I are HUGE into gardening and being outdoors and are looking to buy a house with a bit of land(in our dreams)..the thing is were also looking for a house that will have a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP mortgage so I can stay home.<br><br>
I've gotten to the point where I'm really really ready to move out(i grew up just with my dad so having a mother around all the timme is beyond hard)!!<br><br>
The thing is houses seem to be too expensive except for a townhouse...I just found a townhouse in a city near us(my dad lives there, friends of mine and public transit(i dont drive)....it also includes stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer and dryer. The hydro and water is included in condo fees theres a playground and an outdoor pool( 8 month old ds LOVES swimming)..so the only cost is mortgage, condo fees and heat. The costs still dont equal to my bfs rent and apartment costs!!<br><br>
The thing is its a small backyard little garden only, and dh wouldnt be able to play bass/piano very loud. These are big down falls in one sense but since living with inlaws were not allowed a garden and he wont play here anyways.<br><br>
Any advice? Would you mamas stick it out or move out?????<br><br>
Im not sure what to do any advice would help!!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would probably go for it. We lived in a townhouse for a while and it was a nice little comunity. Sometimes there is a common grassy area in a townhouse complex I have seen several where neighbors have gotten together and formed a comunity garden there. Maybe you could start something like that. Also you would be surprised how much you can grow in a small space using squarefoot gardening or vertical gardening ect.<br><br>
Could your dh soundproof a room for music practice? It looks a little tacky but you can reduce the sound a lot by tacking egg cartons to the walls. Many townhouses have bacements which would be a good place to do something like that.<br><br>
Basicaly I'm saying you could make it work for you. Especially if you look at it as fairly short term. Maybe a few years from now you will be abale to afford a place with a bigger yard.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Well, if it were me I'd keep looking and try to find a house. I would go crazy if I had to live with my IL's, but it sounds like you still wouldn't have the things you want in the condo. It is true we often have to compromise a bit when house buying, but I wouldn't be willing to give up the things that are most important - and it sounds like land and DH's music are up there. Only you can decide this though, of course.<br><br>
Good luck deciding!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think you need to set a time frame. Realistically how long will it take to find what you are looking for. If it will be a while then I would move. Living with the IL's is tough on a relationship and one's sanity.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...I talked to dh(which is really fiance) and he says we cant afford anything which I can't understand AT ALL!!!!<br>
He says we cant afford a downpayment without getting married(wants the $ gifts to go towards house) and says he cant spend all that money on a wedding when we dont have a house.<br><br>
Ive had it living here!!! It's come to the point where im moving with or without him

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
before you buy something, look into 1st time homebuyers grants and stuff, you might knock yourself out of a really sweet deal if you guys buy something now that you really don't want long term.<br><br>
Have you talked to your dad? does he have room for you guys to live with him?<br><br>
If not hang on, save up, pinch pennies and one day you will be able to have your dream!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would live in anything I could afford in order not to live with family, however it would be nice to be able to live with them in order to save up. So, it all depends on how awful it is for you to stay there.<br><br>
I had friends who lived in a townhouse who did music and basically soundproofed half the garage by adding a wall down the middle and using soundproof stuff. It worked great.<br><br>
Good luck. Only you know what is tolerable. Ask hubby for a break down of finances to show why he thinks you can't afford it. He might not realize the truth of how much it is or isn't to own.<br><br>
with smiles,<br>
rebecca

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
For personal reasons I'd say moving out now would be fine, especially if your town has community garden plots.<br><br>
Market-wise, the housing market is beginning to level off and I had a home appraiser I was chatting with last week say he thought prices would be down in a year or two... so that might be a consideration for you. Of course mortgage interest rates are still really decent right now too...<br><br>
So I guess I'd say if you're planning on being there a while go for it, if you want to sell in a couple of years that might pose a problem.<br><br>
Townhomes can also help insulate you from the costs of homeownership when $'s tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts