Mothering Forum banner

Buying Diapers

1K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  daekini 
#1 ·
I'll admit, I was prissy and bought 12 CD brand new because I didnt want DD to sit in a *used* CD.

Um, well, now I have 12 new diaps, but am chaning DD about 20 times a day (yes, she is a water fountain! I cange her when she wakes up 2-3 times a night and sometimes she will need 2-3 diapes if she tinkles when Im changing, etc)

In addition to my 12 pocket diaps i also have about 10 gerber prefolds and 6 rubber pants from Walmart- but as you all know, they suck. I hate the pins and the pull up pants. I also have 12 pocket diaps (wonderoos and bum Genius!) that I like and would love to buy more of.

We have NO MONEY to do so.

Shoudl I : Make some sort of AIO out of the gerber prefolds? Can I? How do I?

OR... Buy used off E-bay? Are used diapers gross? I am thinking they are the same as a diaper service, right?

I dont want to use sposies anymore, and am bound and determined to CD FULL TIME by the time MIL (a naysayer!) comes to visit!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Most of our diapers are used and they are great!! Now, I did purchase them off of the trading post here at Mothering so maybe that has something to do with the great experiences I had.

I mean, most people are NOT going to sell you a dirty dipe and of course you wash it before you use it.

#5 ·
Sounds like you have had the same bad experience that most folks have with cloth diapers. There are way better prefolds, pins, and covers:
Indian Prefolds are 100 times better than Gerber
Dritz Pins are 100 times better than Gerber
Bummis Super Whisper Wraps are 100 times better than Gerber
Okay, so 100 times may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.
You won't believe just how much more the prefold will hold, how much better the pin will slide through the cloth, and how much softer and more durrible the Bummis are. $55 will get you about a doz dipes, 2 BSWW, and a pair of pins.

#8 ·
Nearly all of my daughter's diapers were/are used. I can't afford to pay full price for them so I bought most of them here on Mothering on the trading post. You need to have a certain number of posts and be a member for so long(and I see you don't have enough posts) to be able to even SEE the trading post, nevermind access it. Ebay is a great option. Some people use diaper pin and diaperswappers was pretty popular a while back. I think it's still working, i don't know. I stick to Mothering. I think buying used is a great way to save yourself a lot of money and selling when you are done is a great way to make back some of that money.

meg

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady
Nearly all of my daughter's diapers were/are used. I can't afford to pay full price for them so I bought most of them here on Mothering on the trading post. You need to have a certain number of posts and be a member for so long(and I see you don't have enough posts) to be able to even SEE the trading post, nevermind access it. Ebay is a great option. Some people use diaper pin and diaperswappers was pretty popular a while back. I think it's still working, i don't know. I stick to Mothering. I think buying used is a great way to save yourself a lot of money and selling when you are done is a great way to make back some of that money.

meg

lol, i looked for the trading post & couldnt find it! now i know why...

just another reason I wish i'd found this place sooner

#10 ·
What everyone else said, lol - pretty much all of dd's diapers came to us used, and they do the job just fine (plus, it's the only way I can afford to have "cute" girly girl diapers, haha)!

And YES, Gerber prefolds and pants kind of stink. Nowhere NEAR as absorbent/leakproof as cpf/ipf and other covers like Proraps or Bummis (still both very affordable, even new).

Good luck! I hope you have it all down soon so you can show MIL how wrong she was to doubt you could cd!

#12 ·
If you're trying to make some of your own diapers, I recommend making a bunch of fitteds or contours because they're easier and you don't have to spend the extra dough to get the waterproof cover on, especially if you already have covers.

I have mostly used diapers and they're in great condition. I did buy some that were nearly free because they weren't as pretty, but they work fine and they're nice for laundry day or the days when DS has a bit of a rash and I don't want to ruin my good dipes with diaper rash creams. (I've bought so many different kids that I've GOT to use them at some point.) Jsut like some ladies have period panties... my DS has rash dipes.

#14 ·
I just wanted to second all of the previous posts. We are new to CDing, and I bought my initial 9 diapers new because I thought used diapers were "dirty". Since then, I have changed my mind, and have 6 previously owned diapers. After a few washes, I can barely tell the difference.

I would look at diaperswappers or the diaperpin until you have enough posts for the trading post. I think the prices on ebay are much higher than at some of the diaper specific places. Good luck!

#15 ·
I'm with all the others . . . the majority of ds's diapers are pre-loved and I've never had a problem. I've gotten all of them from Ebay, believe it or not and I've only been disappointed once. I've gotten a few from Freecycle, also. I wish I had known about the Trading Post because I see great things on there. There's nothing wrong with second hand dipes . . . I just make sure I wash and dry them well and they're good to go.

#16 ·
I've bought a few used diapers - especially when I want to try out a different brand/type, and don't want to buy a whole stash until I know I like it.

I will say to be careful on ebay - there are places you can get dipes for cheaper WITH inserts than I've seen diapers go for on ebay without inserts! When people spend $14 or more + shipping for a used fuzzi bunz with no insert, something is wrong.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
If you're trying to make some of your own diapers, I recommend making a bunch of fitteds or contours because they're easier and you don't have to spend the extra dough to get the waterproof cover on, especially if you already have covers.

I have mostly used diapers and they're in great condition. I did buy some that were nearly free because they weren't as pretty, but they work fine and they're nice for laundry day or the days when DS has a bit of a rash and I don't want to ruin my good dipes with diaper rash creams. (I've bought so many different kids that I've GOT to use them at some point.) Jsut like some ladies have period panties... my DS has rash dipes.
Yeah! Thats what my Gerber prefolds are! My rash diaps!

#18 ·
i agree, i looked at ebay and actually saw some that i might buy but they were just too $$$ and some didnt even have inserts... They were in good condition, but just too expensive (like only 2 or 3 dollars less than I would pay for new)

freecycle is interesting.. I really want to get some PUL and try to make one, I have never sewed in my life though so it may turn out a mess!

#21 ·
Here's what I would do:

go to Kelly's Closet and order

1 dozen unbleached prefolds
2 Bumkins wraps

I have used homemade diapers, fuzzibunz and this set up and this is by far my fav.

For ds (14months) I currently own 2 dozen unbleached prefolds and 3 bumkins wraps. It lasts about 3.5 days.

:
:
:

#22 ·
I haven't tried them personally, but the "insert socks" at cottonbabies may be a good use of your prefolds and turn them into a pocket diaper for cheap. Especially at night when they tend not to poop as much. They seem like a cool idea. But I can't speak from experience.

For that matter, if you sew, make your own "sock" from fleece and stuff your prefolds in there!

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=736

#24 ·
I would also recommend staying away from ebay which is just more cut throat IME I like the TP here or www.diaperswappers.com also about the costs... I once saw a post where someone explained how they had built up their cloth stash... they put a quarter in a jar every time they used a cloth dipe instead of a dispaobale (roughly ther cost of disposables) so for you that would be $3 a day... you add to your cloth stash and as they increase so does the amount of money you put in the jar.... if you are changing her 20 times a day that will soon be $5 a day you are NOT spending on sposies that you can reasonable justify spending on cloth... HTH

Jen

#26 ·
also about the costs... I once saw a post where someone explained how they had built up their cloth stash... they put a quarter in a jar every time they used a cloth dipe instead of a dispaobale (roughly ther cost of disposables) so for you that would be $3 a day... you add to your cloth stash and as they increase so does the amount of money you put in the jar.... if you are changing her 20 times a day that will soon be $5 a day you are NOT spending on sposies that you can reasonable justify spending on cloth... HTH

Jen[/QUOTE]

That is an awsome idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.