Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I notice that some of you write that you buy grains in bulk. I have never seen a store that had any in bulk. Do you buy yours at a local store, or get it shipped to your house.
I live in Ontario, Canada and it seems that I don't have as many options as you do in the U.S.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I buy big bags of bulk grains from an organic foods buying coop that I belong to. You can also buy grains in bulk at most health food stores. If you ask, they can usually order you a big 25 or 50 pound bag and give you a discount too.
I have a great whole grains baking book, the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, that lists some sources of grains.
Giusto's Specialty Foods
241 East Harris Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080

Walnut Acres
Penn's Creek, PA 17862
Phone 570 837-5095

Little Bear Trading Company
Rt 1, Box 266A
Cochrane, WIsconsin 54622

This book also says that the book Home Food Systems (Rodale, 1981) has a more extensive list, pp. 81-83.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I'm in Alberta and I found a great company. I don't think they deliver to Ontario (Manitoba might be as far as they go). You could e-mail them and see if they know of anyone in your area. www.grainworks.com I find their prices to be great amd they have free shipping with a fairly reasonable minimum order. You do have to create a co-op of at least 5 people to get their case discounts, but I found 5 no problem. This particular company has grains, beans, rice, sugar, cocoa, flours and cereal mixes. They are also organic. I have been buying spelt, barley, sugar, soup bean mixes, oats, rice and I love it. With the really expensive products I can usually find 1 or 2 people to split bags with me and it has worked out great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.