Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been wanting a serger far a while now. so i thought i would ask for 1 for my bday/christmas. i thought $300 would be a good price for my 1st.

well, i was in joann's today..... and the sales lady talked me into sewing on one..........omg, i am in love!!!!!!!!! they have 2 white's...$359 and $399, but they also have a bunch of viking/husquavarna... $399, $549, $800+ and $1300+. I am now leaning toward the $549.

But that is a ton of $$$. Are the Vikings worth it??? JoAnn's said they will give you a free class, so you totally know how to work your machine... 2 hours or so. That must be worth about $60, don't you think???

Where else should I look? Costco has a serger for $200, but that would mean no classes. And ideas/advice?????

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I have the Huskylock 905 and I love it. It sews through multiple diaper layers like butter. I think it is easy to thread and tension adjustments are a piece of cake. I tested at least a dozen different sergers before I bought my 905, and the difference in serging was amazing. Definitely pricier though. I also have a free class I could take, but I didn't. I had a couple of questions that the videotape cleared up, and that is it. I think the class would have been nice though.

If I wanted a less expensive serger, I would consider the White ATS2000 and the Brother 1034D, those seem to have good reviews. You might also check out the serger reviews at Pattern Review, I think the url is www.patternreview.com.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I have the Huskylock 905 and I love it. www.patternreview.com.
Thanks. The 905 is the one I am leaning toward for $549.........

This is such a difficult decision. i really want to get the best machine for the $$$, and I feel so clueless.........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts