Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak

My MIL came over tonight after she had done some things out here. Anyway she takes us to the store so we could get all our groceries at once (we don't have a car right now). I grabbed the sling for in the store and off we went. MIL LOVED the sling (hoping she mentions it to SIL who's due anytime now). So I get her in and we go about our shopping. We end up passing two different couples, both with babies, multiple times and each time the woman would glare at me. After a few times I finally smile politely and accknowledge the glaring womem. Thier response? To puff out some air and grab their child out of the stroller! lol When we went to check out one of the women was in line in front of us and when she turned to look at us she glared at me again and picked her baby up and made some small talk before turning around again. DH went to grab some chips at that point and wanted to get some DD would not appreciate later
so I said no, what I eat she eats. The lady ahead of us sighed and turned around to glare yet again! I think I caused some insecurity issues today. lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't get why people have such a problem with others' ways. I am just now realizing how babywearing is... and I have a 2 y/o. I thought the only options were: Snugli (too structured) or Maya Ring Sling (too un-cool looking for my preference). So, I opted for neither - I used the carseat (gasp!) and stroller (ugh). But I never ever thought poorly of others who did something different. I just don't get it.

And now that I'm joining "the other side" (I'm currently searching for a perfect pouch - don't want to spend that much money without doing plenty of research!), I don't plan on glaring at anyone using a stroller!!!!

Well, anyways, good for you!

-Elizabeth

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think people are very defensive about their parenting style. Instead of looking at the other side of the coin and thinking about slinging or whatever as being just another option/tool, they feel like they are being judged for not doing it. It's really silly! I mean, maybe she has a sling at home, ya know? I know *she* prolly doesn't, but we don't know that. And if she thinks she's doing the best for her kids, why does she care what other people do?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dont get it either. I sling DD on my back all the time in a ring sling. Yesterday I had to go to the store and I left my older 2 at home with DH and took DD with. It was nap time and she fell asleep before we got there so she was sleeping on my back in a RS the entire time. I also got alot of glares from carseat moms and alot of curious looks from older people. And one 'knowing smile' from a BW mommy wearing a snugli. Its weird the different reactions you get. I think as long as people are seeing it, its not all bad, at least its getting the word out right? Way to go mama for slingin!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I stopped trying to understand people, it makes life alot easier. She obviously knows there is a better way or she wouldn't have picked her child up to hold it. Perhaps next time you see her (if you remember her) she'll have a carrier.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That's funny. Why should they care what you do??? Oh well. I sell more slings by people seeing me use them and asking for info. I have a lot of people ask questions, but the occasional experience like you did. Too bad for them - it's their baby's loss. Also, for the mama that said Maya's were not cool - there are lots of cool ring slings out there - happy shopping!!!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It's funny the different responses you get. I live in a very mainstream city (albeit In the city rather than the suburbs, which lowers the mainstream quotient considerably, lol), and have never gotten an angry or judgemental response as I perecived it. Well, unless you count teenage checkout girls at the grocery asking if it didn't make the baby spoiled, which I just took as a "teachable moment."

Speaking of teachable moments, Elizabeth I know you didn't mean anything by it and I hope you won't mind me pointing this out, but before you say that a certain carrier looks uncool or some other negative adjective, you might stop and realize that other members of the board are probably walking around in that very sling every day. It's totally fine to express your opinion and note that something isn't your style or your taste, but we generally try not to insult anyone else's sling. And just in case you didn't know, MWs do come in plain old solid colors, in addition to the guatamalen prints.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm so sorry that I offended some people. I really did not mean that in a rude way. Before dd was born, I went to a LLL meeting, and one of the leaders was showing another gal how to wear the maya sling, and it was a fabric that (for me) I wouldn't ever wear. [And that was the only sling I ever saw until I started doing some online research this last month.] So, again, for me (as I said earlier "for my preference"), I was completely uninterested in slings. I definitely wasn't trying to say that they're un-cool, rather I was just saying that for what I tend to wear that exact maya sling (in that fabric - which I thought was the only one it came in) wouldn't have looked cool on me. I'm sorry that I stated it poorly before.

Anyways... yes, now that I've learned more about ring slings, I actually really love the look of them! I'm VERY tempted to get a ring sling (in a fabric that I think would look good/cool on me), but personally I'm leaning toward a pouch (simply for function, not for "coolness"). So, please don't think I'm judging people. Everyone deserves the right to look at something and decide whether or not that would personally look good (cool) on them... and that was simply what I was trying to say.

I'm one of the most optimistic/happy/positive people I know, and I'm really sorry I started off on the wrong foot here.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
No, don't sweat it at all! I don't think anyone was offended, I just thought I'd point it out because I knew you probably didn't realize the way it came across. And even I, a hugely devoted MW lover, would not wear most of their fabrics because they're just not my style. The feel of it can't be beat, though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I feel bad about it, but I do tend to "judge" sometimes. Not really in a bad way, but I will see a mom in the store trying to juggle the cart, her other children, and baby in arms. I always say to myself "She could use a sling". My biggest pet peeve is seeing a mom carrying baby and pushing an empty stroller. I wish I could afford to just hand slings out to people!
I know, I know... she may have a sling at home, etc... I don't know her story. But I can't help but wonder, ya know?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
hey crystallynn: back in my babywearing days you would have seen me wearing dd and pushing an empty stroller some days...had to have something to carry the library books in!! (plus it had one of those cup holders and I could have a drink of water on my journeys into town...) isn't that what strollers are FOR??

Lizabethian: what a strange shopping outing for you...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.