Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, breastfeeding is officially everything it's cracked up to be!

When my 14-m-o was born, I read a passage in a parenting book for dads that someone gave my husband, about how to deal with your wife breastfeeding (how to avoid blushing if she does it in public...). It talked about accepting that your wife's breasts will simply "never be the same". I wondered: Well, what does that mean?

As I was getting in the shower just now, after nursing Antonio, I paused in the mirror and thought, "OH! That's what that meant!" After more than a year of nursing, my breasts are never quite going to bounce back to the nice, perky state they were in, say, 18 months ago. Are they? I mean, compared to my 3rd grade teacher (Mrs. Boggs...sadly, "Baggy-Boob Boggs"), I should be happy because they're still quite a ways above my waist! But it's true: they're not the same.

The fact that I really don't care - that, had I known about my breasts in advance, I would still have chosen to have this nursing relationship with my son - is just one more bit of evidence that nursing is worth it!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Would you believe it's actually the pregnancy that does most of that? Breastfeeding just delays some of the effect because they're so full for a while, then they deflate. There were actual studies done about it. I'll bet the males in that group of researchers had some fun hehe.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I saw a bra expert once on...Oprah maybe? Some talk show, anyway. They were talking about breast changes in new mothers. She said the "damage" is done whether you breastfeed or not...your boobs grow and change in pregnancy, and the milk comes in even if you don't ever use it. Either way, yeah, things are different. But like you said, it's more than worth it

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
I think it depends on the size of your breasts to begin with. Mine have always been saggy, and I've had stretch marks on them since I was a teen. Pregnancy makes them larger and fuller, your breasts are larger and fuller during breastfeeding, usually, although mine weren't noticeably larger. It's just they plumped out when I had more milk, and shrunk down as the babies consumed the milk. Then ever so slowly, they return to that saggy pre-pregnancy state. Or perhaps achieve that saggy state for the first time.
Now that I am no longer lactating, they are similar to what they were before I got pregnant the first time. They get fuller and tender to the touch in the time leading up to my period, and seem saggier when I'm not retaining water.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder about the idea that it's not the breastfeeding. I also have 13-y-o twin sons, but wasn't able to b/f (they were born insanely early, in NICU several months, I lost my milk...). Of course, my milk came in - TONS of it, for twins! - and I pumped for a month, but I didn't have the same "breast effect" that I do now. Of course, I'm also 13 years older, now, which could certainly factor into it...

Anyway, glad to know I'm not alone! (Also glad my husband's sweet enough not to mention it!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
You're def not alone! And I have a sweet DH as well. He swears up and down that they look fantastic but I know he's just seeing me through "love goggles".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Would you believe it's actually the pregnancy that does most of that? Breastfeeding just delays some of the effect because they're so full for a while, then they deflate. There were actual studies done about it. I'll bet the males in that group of researchers had some fun hehe.
Full breast full of milk is just another reason to breastfeed because when the milk is all gone the fullness of "milk" goes with it. My LO is almost 8months and I am starting to get the, "when are you going to stop breastfeeding?" questions....stopping means deflating and I am NOT ready!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.