Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of an odd request but...

My mom and I were talking about hysterectomies. Neither of us ever want one...we prefer keeping our parts. Anyway, she has had some issues and unfortunately may end in hysterectomy

So, I got to thinking. I have had 2 c/bs. I'm sure my chances of hysterectomy increases. Is there anywhere I can find some sort of stat about it??

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
you could try searching www.pubmed.com
also look up www.womenssurgerygroup.com

anectdotally, it seems to me that women who have had abdominal surgery of any sort are more likely to have doctors recommend hysterectomy (whether it's really necessary or not). Maybe it's because we've already been cut, so getting cut again isn't as big a deal, I don't know.
It was suggested to me as a treatment option for endometriosis... many, many years ago. I am so glad I sought a third opinion, when the first two quacks gave me the same options.
Hysterectomy is often a sign that the doctor in question isn't skilled enough to treat whatever the problem really is, or isn't up to date on the current surgical techniques.
You know, cut it off and it will quit bothering you, instead of treating the real problem.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
If you are threatened with a hysterectomy, contact H.E.R.S.

1-215-667-7757

They do have conference now and then.

It is an organization in Bryn Mar, PA founded by Nora Coffey who had a hysterectomy and knew the moment she woke from the surgery that a mistake was made...she did research after the surgery and discovered that medical literature going back 175 years states what doctors already know --that a hysterectomy changes a woman's life permanently - the vagina is shortened, the woman is depressed, some nerve damage may be permanent, bone loss occurs and memory is impaired, all of which cannot be fixed with HRT.

Often the surgeon tells the woman that it is all in her head and prescribes anti-depressants.

The doctors in my area who do not do automatic hysterectomies have left. Vicki Hufnagle was one of them, author of No More Hysterectomies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.