Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having four successful natural births including one homebirth, I ended up with a c-section for baby #5. After births I normally like to take it easy and spend as much time in bed with the baby as I can, but almost a month after the birth, my baby is still in the NICU. I want to take it easy but I have been going to and from the NICU every single day. It's about 45 minutes away and usually I have to add 15-20 minutes to that because DH and I drop off the older kids, who are too young to go into the NICU, with one of our moms before we go. I drove for the first time a couple days ago and I also taking narcotics or OTC pain killers. I'm explaining all this because I wonder if all the added activity of going to and from my mom's and MIL's and the NICU has put too much strain on my body, particularly the incision.

This morning I woke up to searing pain on the incision site. It has hurt on and off since the surgery, but nothing like this. I felt like the incision was being made all over again (but this time there was no spinal block). Not knowing why it was hurting, I went about my day and just hoped it got better. As the day progressed I noticed that it hurt much more on the right side. I finally ended up taking ibuprofen and a lortab (similar to vicodin) and that took the edge off. Later I looked at the incision in the mirror and realized that the right side, where it hurts most, is very red and swollen. It doesn't look like there is blood or anything coming out of it. The red area is very distinct - it's a wide red blob around the part that hurts, kind of like what you'd see around a bee sting or a mosquito bite.

Naturally this would happen on a weekend so I can't call the doctor who did the c-section, and my midwife is usually great about returning my emails but I know she uses Sunday as her "family day" and may not be around for a while. Right now I'm pumping exclusively so I can bring EBM to my baby at the NICU...I'm concerned about any prescription medication that may get into the breastmilk. I don't have enough EBM frozen to feed my daughter while I take antibiotics so hopefully there's one that can be taken by breastfeeding mothers (assuming that's what I need). As far as I know my temperature is normal and the only symptom I've had is the pain in the right side of the incision. While I wait to see a doctor or midwife, I'm hoping for your input, if you have any. I know most of my audience here has probably not had a c-section but I bet that those of you who have had one will understand my concerns about breastfeeding with medication. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
You can't receive that kind of advice here. New rules.

Sorry, I'm confused... What kind of advice can OP not receive here? New rules???

OP there are for sure antibiotics (IF an infection is what you have, and that's what it sounds like to me
) that you can take while breastfeeding.
I got a HUGE and nasty boil when DS was around 6 weeks old.
Never had one before or since, but anyway. I was prescribed a course of antibiotics which I gladly took as I had red lines travelling up my arm by the time DH convinced me to go to a doc.

Oh yes, I also had one tiny part of my incision that was always a little red/weepy and not healing right. A few days on the abx and it was 100% fine.

I'm not one to tout them by any means, and have to be practically on death's door before I'll take them, but IMHO they definitely have thier place, and I'm grateful that we have the choice these days whether to use them or not,.

HTH

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
I can't give you any advice, but I've had antibiotics after 3 of my 4 sections, for sure (I honestly can't remember if I got them after I had dd). I don't know how safe they are for breastfeeding, because we never know if we're getting the whole story, but none of my kids have had any kind of problems while I was on them.

As for the incision...could be almost anything. I had sharp, stabbing pains on one side of my incision for 7-8 months after I had dd. I never did talk to a doctor about it, beyond a casual mention during a follow-up appointment early on, but nobody ever detected any problems during my later pregnancies or c-sections. I've also had redness, itching, aches, swelling, etc. at odd intervals ever since my second section (and even very occasionally in the 10 years between my first and second). C-section healing is a lot more complicated than many people realize.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts

I found that heat really helped if I placed hot towels on my incision. It wouldn't hurt while you wait to hear back from a HCP.

Is there some sort of nurse hotline you can call? My son was also in the NICU after his birth and it was so exhausting. It did seem like it took a lot longer to heal and I struggled a lot more.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
There are many safe abx you can take while bfing if you need them

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellowyellowmama View Post
mama. Healing from a c-section while your baby is still in NICU and pumping! You are amazing!

I didn't heal as well w/my 2nd c-section. I don't have any advice, but to rest, rest, rest until you can get it checked out.

Same here. It took ages to heal. try and take it easy, I know it's not easy for you with what's going on.

You are doing an amazing job.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Big hugs Nova! It sounds like you're doing a couple "full time jobs" right now and I'm sure that is contributing to the slow healing. I think checking in with your care provider is a good idea and if there is a nurse line or critical care center that could be a good resource too.

I was lucky that my c/s incision healed pretty easily, but one of my friends developed an infection under the skin and needed to have that portion of the incision re-opened and cleaned out. It was sort of like a cyst I guess? Anyway, she was breastfeeding and although it wasn't a fun experience (they used a local pain med, then antibiotics) she didn't have to stop nursing. She did start taking probiotics before the procedure to help moderate the impact of the antibiotics on her system. Maybe your midwife will have more ideas as well?

Also, is there any way to cut down on the driving you're doing or the general stress you're under? For example, could your mom or mil meet you at the hospital and watch your older children there (or nearby) while you are in the NICU? One of our local hospitals has a nice garden on the grounds, and a library not too far away. Maybe the pediatric staff at the hospital would have ideas for where your older children could spend some time nearby while you're in the NICU?

I hope your little one comes home soon, and that you heal quickly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In case anyone is curious, the "new" guidelines are as follows:

Quote:
Requests for Heath Information
Discussion should focus on requests for information, personal experience and support rather than requests for a diagnosis, prognosis or personalized treatment plan that could be construed as medical advice.

Responses to Health Questions
In an effort to avoid giving the appearance of offering medical advice, we ask that members attempt to respond to health-related questions with general information regarding conditions, alternative approaches and/or evidence-based research rather than offering specific personal instruction. Members are welcome to share their personal experiences and opinions, but please avoid telling others what they "should" do in their unique situation. Trust members to make their own personal healthcare decisions, in conjunction with a trained care provider as necessary.

Phrases like in my experience, you might consider, many find, research shows, studies find, some find xyz successful/helpful, you could try, etc. are all helpful ways to provide information and express personal opinion rather than personalized instruction.
If you have any questions about this please PM a mod or bring it to the Questions & Suggestions forum!
Thanks for helping us keep this thread on track...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts

I found that heat really helped if I placed hot towels on my incision. It wouldn't hurt while you wait to hear back from a HCP.

QUOTE]

I did too much too quick and had a similar experience. The hot towels worked wonders. Also just laying down and giving the incision some air helped a ton! Hope you have your little one home soon! Maybe see if you can have one of the nurses at the NICU take a peek if you are there before you here from your doc.

·
Registered
409 Posts
my incision from my first c/s was infected. when my doctor prescribed me antibiotics he gave me something that was compatible with breastfeeding and i could continue to nurse during the course of the prescription (i double-checked with both him and the pharmacist)

i double the laying down and giving your incision some air. it seemed to work wonders. another tip the nurses gave me after my second c/s is to use a hair dryer on cool and low setting to dry my incision after any bathing/shower to keep my incision as dry as possible. my second c/s healed much better.

·
Registered
774 Posts
you can always call the OB who did the section, even on a sunday. call the office and an answering service will page the on-call dr, and he or she will call you back.
or, you could ask one of the nurses or drs at the NICU for some advice, i'm sure they'd steer you in the right direction.

i hope it's ok!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.