Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:
The government also reported that the rate of births by Caesarean delivery continued to climb in 2005 to a record high, despite efforts by public health authorities to bring down the number.
What are these efforts?
:

Honestly, I think women should have access to unnecesary c-sections--- they should just be treated as the cosmetic/elective surgery they are.

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
What are these efforts?
:

Honestly, I think women should have access to unnecesary c-sections--- they should just be treated as the cosmetic/elective surgery they are.
really? Even though it puts the baby at greater risk?

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
really? Even though it puts the baby at greater risk?
Yes, actually I do.

Women "can" do a lot of things that put their baby (and themselves) at statistically greater risk of complications. I really have no problem with a woman choosing to have a c-section. I don't think it's a great choice, and I think it should be educated *against* but I still think it should be a choice.

What I don't think is that the cost of these interventionist births should be spread across all people. It makes maternal insurance more expensive for everyone when the "average" birth is $$$ more expensive.

The problem, of course, is that there are very few "elective" c-sections performed--- they are generally presented as necessary for the baby's health. So I really don't see a way around that.

I do think there needs to be greater oversight of planned c-sections, initially the date they are scheduled at. I don't think that non-EMERGENCY medically indicated c-sections should be scheduled before 41 weeks.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Quote:
PERFECT

I never thought of that.

if it is elective -- non-emergency -- then it should not be covered by insurence -- jsut like a tummy touck......

perfect

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Quote:

ITA with you on this, and your reasoning behind it!

But, then again, I'm one of those who believes that feminism is about choice, not about what anyone decides is best for all women.
:

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
This is sad and so scary. The medical industry doesn't seem to take the risks seriously. It's just another way to make more money for most. I know that there are numerous situations in which it is a necessity, but there are too many in which it isn't.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by girlie librarian View Post
This is sad and so scary. The medical industry doesn't seem to take the risks seriously. It's just another way to make more money for most. I know that there are numerous situations in which it is a necessity, but there are too many in which it isn't.
It also really upsets me that I do not feel most doctors give true informed consent on C-sections. They say that you can have a v-bac next time (but don't mention *they* don't do v-bacs, nor does the hospital they attend at) and on and on. Even if they do reveal the dangers inheirant in major abdominal surgery they often do not highlight the lifelong implications of that decision.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I can remember seeing this girl on a BABY STORY on TLC last year who had an elective c-section because she didn't want to experience the pain of childbirth, and viewed c-sections as an "evolutionary process" of birth. She reasoned that we have the technology to make birth painless, why not use it.

I had just had my ds with an unplanned natural birth, and wept for this woman. I wept for the fact that she never got to experience that moment of pure bliss when that baby emerges.

Elective c-section makes me
for both mom and baby. There should be a test, like a drivers license if you want to have a c-section that shows you've at least concidered other options. Something.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
I can remember seeing this girl on a BABY STORY on TLC last year who had an elective c-section because she didn't want to experience the pain of childbirth, and viewed c-sections as an "evolutionary process" of birth. She reasoned that we have the technology to make birth painless, why not use it.
And she has obviously not been given a full education, huh? Perhaps the birth *itself* is painless (and the forgoing of labor) but there can be extreme pain following a c-section as well as some very painful side-effects/complications.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Quote:

It also really upsets me that I do not feel most doctors give true informed consent on C-sections. They say that you can have a v-bac next time (but don't mention *they* don't do v-bacs, nor does the hospital they attend at) and on and on. Even if they do reveal the dangers inheirant in major abdominal surgery they often do not highlight the lifelong implications of that decision.
Yup, I agree with you on that 100%. I had by first DD via c-section (breech baby), & I was told that I can have a VBAC. Well when I was begininning to think about trying for #2 I began to speak about having a VBAC with my OB & I found out that they don't do them & our hospitol dosn't "allow" them. I switched practices to a Midwife/OB practice & I did have a VBAC (although it was a much more medicaded birth then I had planned). When we have #3 (no not TTC yet) then we will have a hb!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
She reasoned that we have the technology to make birth painless, why not use it.
Where did the notion that major abdominal sugery is painless come from?
:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Can I hijack here (or point me in the right direction)? I am trying to see if my theory has any merit: I noticed at a mommies group that all of the c/s ladies seemed to have a tummy "bulge" - even the skinny ones! Not that I'm completely back to normal, but it just looked very different to me. It makes some sense that if you are going to cut through all those layers and sew them back together, the body might not be able to heal back to its original state. I'm thinking that if this has some truth to it, it would be a great "vain" motivation for women who might opt for a convenient c/s to think twice???!!! Anyone else notice this or have info?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Can I hijack here (or point me in the right direction)? I am trying to see if my theory has any merit: I noticed at a mommies group that all of the c/s ladies seemed to have a tummy "bulge" - even the skinny ones! Not that I'm completely back to normal, but it just looked very different to me. It makes some sense that if you are going to cut through all those layers and sew them back together, the body might not be able to heal back to its original state. I'm thinking that if this has some truth to it, it would be a great "vain" motivation for women who might opt for a convenient c/s to think twice???!!! Anyone else notice this or have info?
I'm not thin, but I have that. i am 40 weeks pregnant and its stll noticable. Its like my incision site is really tightly sewn and then I have an overhanging belly.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts