Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Anyhow, my son and I ride cabs alot but now we want to make a complaint about them but how do I make complaints about these people who have unsafe actions but what if my son and I needed a 'ride somewhere but they would deny to pick us up because of the complaint ?</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>Totally confused.  How would they know you complained if you were just flagging a cab?  Even if you were calling to order one do you have give your name/address to lodge a complaint?</p>

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Yes the name and adress would be included with the report of the complaint it wouldn't be someone anymously filing because it would go through to someone else instead of the owners because they don't care but they recongize my voice and they know my address because I'm a 'regular'.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I'm wanting to go to the top top to get them to change their 'unsafe habbits'  it's like 'bad news' so I'm just wondering would they not allow us to ride in the cab after they find out about the complaint so what if we need to get a ride somewhere .</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
<p>I think if the "unsafe" practices are in violation of the law you should probably report them to the police rather than try to complain to the company.</p>

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
<p>Is there another cab company where you live? Do you have reason to think you'd suffer retribution by reporting unsafe practices? That seems pretty petty and unprofessional to me. I guess it depends what the unsafe practice is, but have you brought it up with the individual drivers? If they're driving too aggressively for your comfort, for example, you're well within your right to explain that you don't feel safe and could they please slow down. </p>

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Drivers do drive recklessly but there is more unsafe habbits that go on than just that . As in Drunk Drivers, Rude Drivers, Cheating Drivers as in 'adding more money to your ride' than if you just ride the 'right rate' , some drivers who try to take 'advances at you '(that hasn't happened to me but it has happened to quite a few people even my neighbor roomie said a 'cabbie tried to make on her '.</p>

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
<p>I would only report what you yourself have experienced - encourage other people who have had trouble to do the same.  If you have tried reporting to the owners then I would go to the police.  If you haven't, I would submit a report to them first.  You may be surprised that they do care, if you report it in a calm way.  Include as many details as possible - date, time, cabbie's name if you know it, license plate number, etc.  Be specific - only report words and actions.  Try to keep your feelings out of it.    While they are valid they shouldn't be included in a report.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck.  There is no reason for drunk driving anywhere, but especially not with a taxi driver!</p>

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
<p>The Taxi and Limousine Commission. These people (in NY anyway, presumably in other states) issue the taxi drivers licenses. These people have teeth to discipline. They are totally separate from the cab company & are not the overburdened police. They exist to regulate the cab industry. This is their job. And look, they do follow up: <a href="http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2010/jul/19/cabbies-surrender-licenses/" target="_blank">http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2010/jul/19/cabbies-surrender-licenses/</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is their website: <a href="http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml</a> . It looks specific to NYC, but it may help you find the licensing agency in your area. There has to be one, even if it's called something else. *Someone* has issued those drivers permits to operate taxis.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's something else to think about: many cab companies are no longer structured the way they used to, ie there often is not one single entity that owns the fleet of cabs, pays the drivers a certain amount, pays expenses and tries to make a profit. An increasingly common arrangement is that each cab driver owns their own car (or even several cars) and acts as a private contractor underneath the umbrella of "Black and White Taxi," or what have you. There can be levels of subcontracting beyond this as well. I discovered that when a cab driver offered me a flat fare one day when they don't usually do that. I thought the price was fair and went with it, but when I questioned him, he gave me this whole big explanation. Basically, each cabbie has freedom to operate his/her business the way they feel right. They pay a certain fee to the umbrella company for the right to use their name and have their dispatcher book calls for them. Beyond that, it's theirs to operate under free market practices. So, there may not even be a management to complain to. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts