Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of an online stitch dictionary of cable patterns? I want to knit a little cabling down one side of the front of my husband's Xmas present but I'm working from a plain stockinette pattern and I don't want to have to design a cable myself. If I could just look at a variety of cable photos/charts, I know I could pick the right thing. I tried knittingpatterncentral.com, but all I could find were basic explanations of the cable concept, which I already understand. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can not think of any right now, but I know that Vogue has 2 "Stitchionary" books and I am pretty sure I saw a review of a cable-dictionary in the new Interweave Knits. Maybe check out the library? My library has a nice online search function that lets you see the books available there and at any they can do bookshare with!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I don't know of any online. If you know what cable you are looking for you can probably find a pattern for it... but a cable directory, not that I am aware of.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
See, I think Theresa needs to do one othese, then. If they don't exist yet! LOL

The LTK Cable Dictionary!

Please?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Harmony Guides has a version for cables "220 Aran Stitches and Patterns" that seems to still be on Amazon. They have several very popular stitch dictionaries.

The only one I know that's online is a general one, doesn't have any pictures with the stitch patterns, and they are listed alphabetically based on the name. I know I've trolled there (sorry, not in a bad way!) for lace patterns - I don't remember if they also had cables. Ack! That must have been several computers ago, I can't find it in my bookmarks
: .

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
If you're prepared to search and swatch like crazy, there's a stitch directory at www.knittingfool.com. You'd have to go in with an idea of what you're looking for though (use number of stitches to pin down your options, for instance) and be prepared to read through a TON of options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts