Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else has heard about this, but my mom saw a brief news thing on this and it's been on my mind since. They were talking about how there used to be lead poisoning from paint on children's toys, well, they found that they had replaced some of that stuff (not all as I understand it) with cadmium, which is supposedly much worse. Has anyone else heard this or researched it at all. I found some things about children's jewelry and walmart needing to do recalls: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6080353.shtml. Does anyone else have any more information on this? I want to make sure about my baby toys now. I'm tempted to just throw out all his plastic toys and get some wooden ones or something. I'm also posting this in the news and current events section, because I don't know which is best to post something like this.

· Registered
322 Posts
Nope, hadn't heard of it, but will check it out since we have loads of baby toys still and plan to hand down some to my new niece this summer.

FWIW, just switching to "wooden toys" may not solve the problem, and may still be a problem. Most of the lead on toys was in the paint, most commonly red paint and/or toys made in china. You'll have to research carefully--even the popular Melissa and Doug brand and Imaginarium brand from Toys R Us are often made in China (not saying they've had recalls, although they may have, just that they are MIC). There are a few great websites, some advertise here at MDC, that do not sell MIC toys. They focus on natural/handmade/non-toxic made in the USA or made in Europe toys.

GL!

mrsfru

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.