Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the wrong forum.....<br><br>
We just got back from my DS's 2 year check-up, and the Dr. got me thinking about calcium (she is pro-breastfeeding) She didn't say we had a problem per say, but she wondered if I was meeting his calcium needs.<br><br>
My DS is cow dairy intolerant, but can tolerate hard (& raw) goat cheeses. He refuses to drink anything but water, so trialing goat's milk has been a challenge (same for almond milk) He hates yogurt any way I serve it.<br><br>
He still nurses about 4-6 times during the day, and eats a little goat cheese usually every day. I do try to make sure he is getting other high calcium foods too (canned salmon, almonds, greens etc.)<br><br>
How do I know how many servings of calcium he needs when I factor in the breastfeeding?<br>
800 mg of calcium a day is recommended I think? 1 cup of cow's milk would give about 300 mg<br>
200-340 mg/litre of calcium in human milk according to kellymom, but I have no idea how many litres DS is actually getting.<br><br>
I spent so long worrying about increasing his iron, that I haven't thought about this too much.<br><br>
What do you give your nursing toddlers to ensure adequete calcium?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
If you are concerned you can easily increase his calcium but sprinkling sesame seeds in your foods, give fortified oj, broccoli is a fave at our house and my kids love to dip it in yogurt too. Quinoa or beans too. Calcium is in alot of things. My kids eat a fairly balanced diet so I don't worry about it. Oh, hummus too with tahini (just ground sesame seeds).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts