Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take 100mg Oyster Shell Calcium each day. This morning I noticed the bottle had the standard consult a dr before use during pregnancy.

Dr Google suggests that calcium derived from oyster shells may contain lead or other contaminates.

I've done some looking around but am left confused about the type of calcium that should be used during pregnancy.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I take a liquid calcium and magnesium from KAL
http://vitanetonline.com/description...-Mag-+-Orange/

I had horrible charlie horses with ds, and my midwife suggested I take this. They went away almost immediately! I'm taking it again with this pregnancy more as a preventative measure than anything.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I drink nettle leaf in my tea (nettle, alfalfa, dandelion, RRLT, rosehips). It's very high in calcium. I also take an organic prenatal (well, when I remember it!). And I'm kind of doing Brewer's so I get a fair dose of dairy and calcium rich veggies daily.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Mine is a generic liquid-filled Cal/D combo; two capsules=600mg. I also only buy the "Bone Health" kind of Emergen-C, and take that almost every day. I think the kid's multi I take has a bit as well. I had the egg shell kind (not liquid) and got weirded out about where the egg shells come from 'coz I usually only buy organic, veg-fed, "free range" eggs, so I switched to the liquids (plus I figure it's more easily absorbed). I don't think I've looked at the label closely enough to check out the source of the Cal.

Funny, I saw this title and read "Calcium Soup"
and was thinking "Kale? Creamed spinach? Almond?" Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.