Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15817955/

Quote:
The California Supreme Court ruled Monday that bloggers and participants in Internet bulletin board groups cannot be sued for posting defamatory statements made by others.

In deciding a case closely watched by free speech groups, the court said a federal law gives immunity from libel suits not only to Internet service providers, like AOL, but also to bloggers and other users of their services.

"Subjecting Internet service providers and users to defamation liability would tend to chill online speech," today's unanimous ruling said.
This is a pretty big deal.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
That's awesome.

Do bloggers have the legal responsibility to remove libelous statements once informed they are wrong?
I would certainly hope so.

There is one problem with this ruling, as I see it. One of the important things about freedom of the press is responsibility of the press. Not being able to be sued for libel takes away the responsibility even though bloggers have been pushing hard to make sure they get all the freedoms.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPentor View Post
There is one problem with this ruling, as I see it. One of the important things about freedom of the press is responsibility of the press. Not being able to be sued for libel takes away the responsibility even though bloggers have been pushing hard to make sure they get all the freedoms.
That was my concern as well.

In some ways, I can see allowing bloggers a little more leeway than "actual" press because they generally just do not have the contacts/resources. But if it is obviously false and they have been informed of it, there should be responsible behavior (removal and appology) at that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts