Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm heading into week 13 and haven't gained (or lost) any weight so far. I've had morning sickness, but not bad enough to keep me from eating regularly. I've been eating pretty healthy, with treats thrown in (but like 1 treat a day rather than 1 a meal like in my last pregnancies!) and I feel like I'm getting a good amount of calories, even though I'm not tracking. I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full. I don't go more than a couple hours without having something... So I feel like my body is doing what it should be doing.

It's just weird to me not not be gaining! With my son, I started at a healthy weight but gained 70 pounds! Totally did the eating for 2!!! Last pregnancy, I started out overweight and was up about 13 pounds by this point! But I ate a lot of crud too... and not reasonable portions.
redface.gif

I feel good, and my midwife isn't worried, but there's always that little worry that baby won't get what he/she needs. But I also know that keeping my weight gain on the lower side will be healthier for both of us. I'm definitely not trying to keep it down though!

Thoughts & personal experience would be great!
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
With my first I gained a total of 25 lbs, I can't remember how much gained or how quickly. I ate precisely what I wanted and when which is probably why I gained as much as I did (FWIW what I wanted were pringles salt and vinegar chips, milk duds, and ice cream. talk about junk food!), regardless, I had no difficulty losing it PP.

With this pregnancy I gained 5 lbs before 8 weeks and have since not gained any. OB is not concerned. I am not either, but still, wonder, as I know my belly is sticking out more, so must be losing weight elsewhere to be be bigger around the middle. For both pregnancies, starting weight is the same. I really just can't eat a lot, volume wise, so I actually don't even try to eat super healthy/low calorie when I do - since I am eating smaller - much smaller - portions, I try to get in a good bit of good calories in those bits. When I am hungry, I am starving, it just doesn't take much to fill me up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well with pregnancy 1 I lost 15 lbs due to nausea. Ended up gaining that all back plus about 11 lbs.

This pregnancy I'm gaining more slowly. I lost 10 lbs at the beginning with this one. So far I've only gained 6 of it back, I'm 31 weeks. I'm sure I'll hit my prepregnancy weight before it's over with but I don't think I'll be much over it. I feel healthy and I'm eating healthy. I ate a lot of junk with my 1st pregnancy. I've eaten so much better with this one! But just not gaining. I started out overweight at 181 so I think it's all okay. My OB hasn't said anything about it. My belly is growing and baby sounds good everytime. I should end up weighing less than I started at by the time she's born.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
With my first I gained 55 pounds. With my second I'm not sure how much I gained, because I decided it was unimportant. If I had to guess I would say I gained about 50 pounds. With my first I ate lots of good food and plently of crap and didn't work out. With number 2 I ate much less of the crap, and power walked daily...even during early labor. I still gained about the same. I think I gained most of my weight in the final weeks of my 3rd tri this time. I think for my height and weight I am "supposed" to gain no more than 20 pounds. Well screw that because my body gains about 50 no matter if I am a lazy pg lady, or an active one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm at 37 wks and 2 lbs over my prepregnancy weight. My OB is fine with it, and I'm happy about my lack of gain. I was very heavy to begin with, 240 at 5'6" (how that equals a size 16 on my frame, which it does, is a mystery to me... I was pretty surprised to hear how much I weighed!).

I've been eating pretty much what I feel like, though that has been a lot of fish and fruit lately... but ice cream every night and a lot of chocolate too... but I have also been pretty active: walking a lot, climbing a lot of stairs, weekly water aerobics classes.

Fetal growth is on track, so I guess everything is great. We'll see what happens to my weight etc after the birth.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I lost 5 pounds first trimester w/my first baby, and gained a total of 37 pounds (6 of those in the 2 weeks that I was overdue). This pregnancy, I'm 11 weeks, no weight gain at all even though I'm only eating carbs and waking up in the middle of the night to eat bagels and crap like that. I'm normal weight to start out.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I gained about 35 lbs from pre-preg weight with each prior pregnancy, despite losing up to 10 lbs in the beginning of each.

I started my first and third pregnancies around 43 BMI and my second 20 pounds higher.

This is my fourth pregnancy. I started the pregnancy at about the same as my first and third, and to date have been hovering around the same weight point. My weight will fluctuate 4-5 pounds from water retention, but in the main it's not moving.

The main difference is that I had been on a healthy weight losing thing when I got pregnant, and I have successfully resisted the urge to go buy pounds of chocolate and eat it all at once the way I did prior pregnancies. I always ate plenty of healthy food, but tons of junk as well. Now it took me a couple of weeks to adjust my eating so I wasn't losing weight. At my size, I don't see any good reason to push myself to gain weight. My nutrition is excellent, and there's plenty of fat to make up any pure calorie imbalance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I lost weight while PG with both of my boys. I started out with plenty of extra weight (195 at 5'4") and once PG I ate better foods and smaller portions - food just didn't sound good and I got full quickly. With DS2 I gave birth at 12 pounds less than what I started at. I had lost a lot at the wedding and put on 7 or so as I went along. DS1 weighed 7lb14oz at 41w3d and DS2 was born on his due date 40w0d at 7lb3oz. I did have an US around 25 weeks with DS2 as I hadn't gained to make sure that all was well and it was. I just lost from all over my body (mostly my ample bottom ;) ) and it went to baby.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I thought I had finally started to gain! Nope, went for my 32 week appt yesterday and lost a pound in the last 2 weeks. So I'm still 5 lbs under my pregnancy weight, and have only gained back 5 lbs of the 10 I lost in the first trimester. They don't seem worried as I'm measuring 32 cm at 32 weeks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I lost 12 pounds in my first trimester, and now, at 24 weeks, I haven't gained any back. But I started out very overweight (250, 5'4"). I'm not concerned, because at our ultrasound baby was right on track. My first doctor (that I was with up till I moved at 19 weeks) kept telling me I could gain a pound a week and not to be afraid of that--I'm not, but I'm certainly not going to force myself to gain weight that I don't need. I have plenty of extra!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am 6 weeks, so haven't seen a provider yet, but thought I would chime in.

Last pregnancy (5 years ago) I lost 15 pounds my first trimester (no puking for me, but I had lots of aversions, including most candy). I ended up gaining 30 pounds I think. THe end of last year I was nearly 280 at 5'4. I decided to lose that weight. I was at a low of 250 before I got pregnant. I stopped weighing myself before I got pregnant, so I am sure I gained some of that back. I am now a little above 260. Because of my GD with my previous pregnancy, my midwife wants me on a GD diet. That isn't happening right now. I need something concrete to follow.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I lost weight through my first trimester, didn't actually start gaining until after 20 weeks. I'm now at 35w4d and have gained a total of 23 lbs - 20 lbs of that was between 20 and 30 weeks. That was the only time that I was actually hungry - since 30 weeks I haven't had any room in my abdomen for food!

Anyway, I'll be thrilled if I can keep it under 30 lbs total by the time I deliver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.