Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally found the thread (http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&highlight=TTO) - took ages so will put it in my resource list now!

Anyway, I have decided to take the plunge tomorrow. So I need to know Seepae, are you still doing this? Exclusively since you started (wasn't it June)? In that thread above someone had a theory that it will only work short term and that you'd have to alternate with using a bit of detergent sometimes. So what's the verdict on that? Any rashes on DS that could be attributed to this wash routine? Also, would i have to "strip" (yup, have stink probs) before I use this wash routine?

I'd like to continue to wash daily even though I only have one child to diaper, so we're talking only a small load (especially if use wool covers that would make it only about 5-7 fitteds and cloth wipes, and maybe one or two clothing items too!). The plan for tomorrow morning is:
cold rinse
1 regular wash cycle (automatically set to finish with cold rinse) - using hot water with 1/4 cup of BS and 10 drops of TTO
additional rinse cycle

hmm, having thought that through, maybe I should also take the plunge in doing a bigger load every second day? That seems like so much work to do daily (especially when all I do now is a simple cold or hot wash cycle only, ie no pre-rinsing, no additional post rinsing).

Oh just thought of another question: can you think why it wouldn't work with using the BS/TTo in the cold pre-rinse instead of in the hot wash cycle? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking the hot wash's cycle could then function sole to get rid of suds?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yup still going strong! I started it the end of May and still love it! DS got a weird rash in July and I thought maybe it was because of TTO so I added a little dawn to strip any oil residue that might possibly be there, but nothing changed. Then my mom did a laod of his diapers with tide(Ive told her not to ever do his diapers, but you know how moms are, LOL) and the stink came back, i think that was in october and I stripped them a few times and went back to the normal routine.

I dont think that theory was ever right because I stripped my diapers all day long before I started it and then when my mom did that I stripped them all day long again, so I doubt there was much left in there after 5+ stripping washes.

Quote:
Oh just thought of another question: can you think why it wouldn't work with using the BS/TTo in the cold pre-rinse instead of in the hot wash cycle? Reason I ask is that I'm thinking the hot wash's cycle could then function sole to get rid of suds?
Well Ive never done the BS/TTO in the cold wash because I always do a cold rinse then HOT wash. The cold rinse is to get rid of any residue that would stain, then HOT wash is to get them clean, so I think adding TTO(which is an antifungal antimicrobiac antibacterial oil) will only strenthen its cleaning power by really giving it a boost.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Ohh and DS does have a "rash" but its not on his diaper area and its not from this routine... we arent sure what it is we've been seeing a dermatologist and Im starting to wonder if its not some sort of excema(I had excema my entire childhood). Some people's children are sensitive to TTO but if you've used it before in your wipe solution or wash and no rash then you shouldnt have to worry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Seepae, it's good to know this routine is still working great for you. Sure gives me confidence.

Hey, I didn't "strip" the diapers, so i'm sitting here anxiously waiting for the diaper load to be done...wondering if I'll be greeted with whiff...
now you drypail right? How often do you wash, and do you put anything in the bucket to tame those smell in between wash days? If this wash routine works for us, then I am seriously considering washing every 2-3 days. The whole point of me washing daily is so I don't have a complicated routine, so if it's going to be like this morning with me running in and out of the laundry room pressing this button and that, then it makes sense to wash less frequently.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eeewwww (there's no smelly icons?), i just came back from smelling the freshly washed dipes...I have a new (been worn about three times) hemp fitted in there that doesn't smell, but the others - eeewwww, they smell in the fron part of the dipe where the pees concentrated i guess!

so the washer is going again, HOT wash with another 1/4cup of BS and 10 drops of TTO.

what's the stripping method you use Seepae?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgirl
what's the stripping method you use Seepae?
baking soda in the wash, about half a cup and it took me all day to fully strip them.

I do use a dry pail, during the summer it smelled because its in the laudry room which was hot and moist, LOL, but I just kept a lid on it, now that its cold it doesnt smell. well its not overwhelming and I never notice it, just smells like a diaper, :LOL
I wash every 1-2 days, I dont have a very large stash so I wash when we start to get low, some days i have to wash twice but thats just because I have a mega pee'er and not a whole lot of diapers

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
you have to keep doing a hot wash until there are no suds... if you have the option, turn the extra rinse off or do a quick wash on hot... its the hot with the bs that will get out all those bubbles

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Just wanted to say I put a couple drops of lavender oil in the diaper pail to cover up any odors...it works WONDERS!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.