Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have braved it and agreed to do my first ever triathlon in June 2009, so I don't have long to get into shape. It is a sprint distance and includes an indoor swim. It is in my area so I can train on the course.

I would love to connect with other triathlete mammas so we can chat all things Tri related!

My dh has done tri's for a few years, but mainly focussed on cycling the last 2 yrs choosing to do L'Etape du Tour.

Anyway I am starting to read Total Immersion. I have a turbo trainer and a treadmill at home and I will be doing the couch to 5k program.

Do you prefer a Tri suit or shorts and tri top?

My time will be slower as I am riding on a mountain bike. Dh said he will buy me a pink tri bike if I get into it, plus he is buying me a pink bike helmet for Christmas!

So, anyone want to chat?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I found a small tri last summer in my area that I wanted to do but I only found out about it couple of weeks before. I am going to do it this year though! Mine is a 3 miles trail run, 5 mile mountain bike ride and either a 1/4 or 1/2 mile swim (in a pond/lake). It is simple enough that I considered doing it without much training but decided against it since my bike hasn't been ridden in 8 years
. Last year they offered free training sessions once a week for about 6 weeks prior to the race - I hope they do that again!

I am a total newbie so I have no idea what to expect. Looking at the race results I am not feeling too intimidated not at all hardcore - from the photos it looked like there were a bunch of moms trying to get into shape! Maybe I'll make some new friends.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I've been doing tris for two years now and they're totally addictive! So far I've done 6 sprint distance races and one Olympic distance. As for what to wear, I prefer tri shorts and a tri top because it makes pre-race porta-potty visits easier
!

I pretty much train year round with swimming 2x a week, biking or spin class 2x a week and running lots (because I really like running).

Enjoy your first tri!!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
me me me. I'm planning my 1st tri in June. If I can come up with the funds for entry fees (70-80 each!!!), I will do one at teh beginning on June and one at the end of June. Both are sprint distance.

My brother's been doing tri's for years, and just did a full ironman in Sept. We actually started training "together" (long distance) for our 1st sprint 9.5 years ago... and then I got pregnant with my 1st of 3 dds.

I actaully HAD to figure out the clothing before I could embrace entering a race. I have a tri top and tri bottom (lightly padded short bike shirts) (mine are from www.skirtsports.com). I will wear a pull over sports bra in a tech fabric under my tri top, adn I'll pull on a race belt skirt after teh swim. I'm a very large girl, so running w/o a few bras and running in tight spandex shorts is not an option for me, LOL

ANyway, looking forward to see how everyone else's training is progressing!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi there! I actually raced Pro XTERRA triathlons (xterras are off-road tris) (and was a professional mountain bike racer for the 6 years prior to that) before I got prego last year! And I am a cycling/mountain biking/triathlon coach. (my coaching webpage is dmmfastcoaching.com if you feel like checking it out) So, I'd be happy to be a resident question-answerer! Not sure if I'll be getting back to competition in '09 or not...just had my daughter in August and I just can't say if racing will be a reality for me soon or if it will need to wait another year or so.

I think 2 piece suits are great, like a PP said it makes all those bathroom trips much easier.

I'm very excited to find some athletes on MDC.

Actually I had posted a question in the post-partum section a week ago and never got an answer. Maybe someone here could help me out on it? The short story is that since birth I've had stress incontinence when I run. I've gone to 8 weeks of PT and I do my kegels. Still, I leak. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
Actually I had posted a question in the post-partum section a week ago and never got an answer. Maybe someone here could help me out on it? The short story is that since birth I've had stress incontinence when I run. I've gone to 8 weeks of PT and I do my kegels. Still, I leak. Any thoughts?
I leaked for at least a year after giving birth, and still do occasionally, mostly if I'm sprinting though. I ran a pretty fast (for me
) 5K in October and finished pretty much soaked from the waist down. Gross. My running partner actually had to have surgery to repair her bladder since her leaking was so bad.

It's awesome to have a pro XTERRA triathlete here

There are at least 2 or 3 more triathletes over on the Dingo thread, so come visit there if anyone else would like more input on racing/training.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hi! I am on MDC off and on because I am also a college student, so usually not much time to come hang out. BUT... I love triathlons. I just started my training for next season, which right now is just getting back on the bike and in the pool. I had to take too much time off because school was very intense for me this last semester. I am starting a new daily routine where I work out at 5:30 in the morning. I took today off because I am ridiculously sore from my circuit workout from yesterday... and there is like a foot of snow outside. I was going to go swim today, but since the plows have not come by, it felt like the perfect day to take off this week!

I did 3 tris last season and 2 duathlons the season before. I also ran my first 1/2 marathon last season. I would like to do 3 tris again this year and another 1/2 marathon, but it will all depend on how next semster goes and if I end up with a new job when I graduate. I know that 2 tris, I will be doing for sure because they are sprints and in my area.

For my first 2 tris I wore a performance swim suit and tri shorts. I bought a tri top for my third tri and like that so much better.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DharmaDisciple View Post

My time will be slower as I am riding on a mountain bike. Dh said he will buy me a pink tri bike if I get into it, plus he is buying me a pink bike helmet for Christmas!
I would love a tri bike. I have a road bike with areobars, which works just fine... so it is hard for me to rationalize spending the money on a tri bike. But I REALLY want one! Any chance you could get a cheapy road bike for these tris? I think you will really enjoy it much more with a lighter and faster bike. Otherwise really good athletes get plowed over because they have a heavy and slow bike.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mammas!

I know it may sound silly, but I have a bit of a mothers wrinkly stomach and wondered whether a tri suit would hide a multitude of sins over tri shorts and tri top.

I am going to get a race belt... and now I am wondering whether to get a bike to race with, my mountain bike is so heavy!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:

Hi Mammas!

I know it may sound silly, but I have a bit of a mothers wrinkly stomach and wondered whether a tri suit would hide a multitude of sins over tri shorts and tri top.

I am going to get a race belt... and now I am wondering whether to get a bike to race with, my mountain bike is so heavy!
My tri-top comes down to the top of my tri-shorts, so no skin showing at all. I'll see if I can scan a pic for you.

And re: the bike. I'd try one race on the mountain bike and see how you like it before you buy a road bike. That said, I LOVE my road bike, which I bought second hand. I'd REALLY love a tri-bike, but it's not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
My tri-top comes down to the top of my tri-shorts, so no skin showing at all. I'll see if I can scan a pic for you.

Okay, the pictures from my Olympic distance race are here and my bib is 5909 if you need it. You can see how the tri-top and bottoms fit. The top is from Zoot and the bottoms are from Pearl Izumi. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Okay, the pictures from my Olympic distance race are here and my bib is 5909 if you need it. You can see how the tri-top and bottoms fit. The top is from Zoot and the bottoms are from Pearl Izumi. Hope that helps.
That is the same exact tri top that I got. I love it! I have two pairs of tri shorts, one from specialized and one from desoto. I like both of them, but the desoto ones are a little more comfortable because there is no rubber grippers on the leg of the short.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Quote:

Hi Mammas!

For me, it was worth it to get a road bike. I would imagine you will be spending some good quality time with your bike training and it was not very much fun training on my cross-bike. I went about 12 mph on average on the cross-bike and can go 18 mph on average on my road bike. Road bikes are a heck of a lot of fun for that reason! Slap on some aerobars and you can get more of a tri form on a road bike for a lot less money.

I remember one particularly windy day where I was going 5-9mph into the wind and then when I turned around I was going 30mph on the way back. It was so much fun!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
Hi there! I actually raced Pro XTERRA triathlons (xterras are off-road tris) (and was a professional mountain bike racer for the 6 years prior to that) before I got prego last year! And I am a cycling/mountain biking/triathlon coach. (my coaching webpage is dmmfastcoaching.com if you feel like checking it out) So, I'd be happy to be a resident question-answerer! Not sure if I'll be getting back to competition in '09 or not...just had my daughter in August and I just can't say if racing will be a reality for me soon or if it will need to wait another year or so.

I think 2 piece suits are great, like a PP said it makes all those bathroom trips much easier.

I'm very excited to find some athletes on MDC.

Awesome! I have raced a few xterras and loved them! I've also done quite a few offroad duathlons and mountain races. DH and I were thinking of going to the Utah race, but I see they are restructuring things this year so I guess it won't be happening. DH's brother is addicted to xterra. DH did it quite a bit, but switched to endurance mountain biking this past year. I mostly ran and did a marathon because I was too short on time to train well for tris. I have been swimming now though and will definitely do the Stoaked race and probably the Vermont race.

That incontinence running thing is crazy. I only had it happen once after a 5k, but I was glad it was so hot and I was so sweaty that no one noticed, I hope. I haven't had the problem since, but I heard it is best to not drink a half hour before the race and wear a tampon (Why? I don't know. I think it must change muscles or something since it obviously isn't for absorption, tmi, sorry).

I am going to check out your coaching page. I had a local person give me a schedule last year for the marathon. This year I am running Boston in April, but plan to then train for the Vermont 50 and some tris.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarAndSun View Post
Awesome! I have raced a few xterras and loved them! I've also done quite a few offroad duathlons and mountain races. DH and I were thinking of going to the Utah race, but I see they are restructuring things this year so I guess it won't be happening.
xterras are so much fun. if you ride a mtn bike, you should give it a go.

I believe the Utah race will actually be the national championship this year, so yay!! the full schedule has not been posted yet as far as i know.

btw, i wasn't posting my coaching site info as an advertisement...i'm actually not taking on any more clients right now (with the new babe and all i've got all i can handle!).

that tampon idea is interesting...next time i run i might give it a try.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JayGee thanks for the photos, I think I will go with the tri top and shorts, just wish there was more pink, but here in the UK there seems little available!

Will chat about my bike to dh, think a road bike would be better as my mountain bike is so very heavy!

Just need to write up a training schedule. I hope I can pull this off, but I am not focusing on a good time, just to be able to complete it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Wow, mckennasmomma! Your times are impressive! How sad about Jamie Whitmore! Is she a friend of yours?

The USA championship is in Utah!

http://www.xterraplanet.com/races/ra...le.cfm?&page=2

I think we might try to go if we qualify. I have qualified in the past with little effort (I find there are few women who race xterra much!).

After Boston I am going to really focus on the bike.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
To OP: I totally think it would be worth it to get a road bike. If you re doing a road tri, it is rough to do it on mountain bike. Otherwise, you could do n offroad tri, as we were mentioning. Xterra a circuit of offroad tris.

I wear short and a tank. I hate those suits. I also hate bike shirts though. All the names and letters turn me off. Just make sure you get really fitted shorts so they are good for the swim.

The hardest thing for me about tris is the swim start. It is kinda crazy! I am the same way at big run starts! I always plan to get right in there, but then I end up going much slower than my usually pace because I don't like the group. I also get dropped often in road races for this reason. I can keep the pace, but the closeness gets to me.

How does the indoor swim start?

·
Registered
440 Posts
The very first tri I ever did back in 1998ish was a pool swim and I did the road bike segment on my mtb too! Pool swims are a great way to "get your feet wet" without the intimidation of mass starts and open water. Pool swims use wave starts, and each person either gets a lane or splits a lane, either way all you have to do is focus on swimming not on battling.

OP: since your tri isn't until the summer you do have time to get a road bike if you want one. I also recommend getting one, not only for the racing advantage but for the training enjoyment too. That said, for your first tri, use what ya got unless you are really stoked to get another bike too. And all THAT said, use your mtb and come over to the dirt side!

Re: Jamie Whitmore. Her whole situation is totally heartbreaking. I specifically remember when she was going through the egg harvesting because she knew that she might become infertile from her treatments. Meanwhile I was pregnant. My heart breaks for her every time I read her website. I've known her for many years, originally through mountain bike racing then through triathlon. Anyone curious what we are talking about go to www.jamiewhitmore.com but brace yourself for a very sad story!

I'm hoping to go to Utah too. It is driving distance for me and I love the course. Now if I can just stop peeing when I run...

1 - 20 of 304 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.