Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently doing Calvert 1st grade. I'm starting to think about next year and although Calvert has been good, I am thinking about maybe switching to McRuffy for 2nd grade. If I like Calvert, will I like McRuffy better? I think what my kids have learned with Calvert so far has been good, just curious how McRuffy compares. Do McRuffy users feel the curriculum is as good or better than Calvert? Is the curriculum more fun for the kids? Is the teachers manual easy to use? I would appreciate opinions on both curriculums, thanks.

· Registered
761 Posts
I have no experience with Calvert at all, but we have McRuffy first grade math and LA. We love the math. My dd (who is not a fan of school) picks this first everyday. She really enjoys it. I like that is very hands on and fun. The activities are varied but they do build on each other. I love how it includes logic and critical thinking activities too, not just basic math.
The LA was not a huge hit here, but only because it was a little to "schooly" for us. We use a unit study approach and this just did not fit in well with that. Other then that i can't really complain. I thought it was a reasonable amount of work, for the age, and there are fun activies built in (cross words, cryptogram type puzzles, etc.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.